1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor problem in Publisher 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lyn Patterson, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Windows 98SE Office 2000: Publisher 2000

Am working on a doc with lots of graphics and some text. The mouse pointer, whenever it is over the doc, on graphics or text, changes to the MOVE icon even though nothing is Selected. When I move it off the page it changes back to normal.

Sometimes it changes to an hourglass with an animated brush which interferes with my editing and is very annoying.

I tried Tools/Options/User Assistance and deselected the Use Helpful Mouse Pointers but still I get the ordinary MOVE pointer which I don't want. It is as if objects are selected when they are not.

Does anyone know what to do to correct this? I know Dreamboat is an expert on Word - not sure about Publisher?

Thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Lyn.

Unfortunately, this is the same behavior in a Word picture when the formatting is NOT set to "inline with text", so I think you are likely SOL on this one.

It is just providing the cursor that is appropriate for the object you're pointing at. If you made the picture a hyperlink, likely, you'll get "the hand".

I'm just not sure why it makes it a problem for you? I think it would be helpful to people who, for instance, paste text as a graphic instead of as text...etc.

3. Lyn Patterson

Hi Dreamboat

The reason it is a problem is that I don't think it is acting normally.

Say I want to re-size a picture. I put the pointer over the picture and click on it to select it. Immediately this hourglass with animated brush starts animating and I am trying to now click on Format and have to click several times for it to open its menu. I then try to select Size and Position and all the while this cursor is animating away and again I have to click several times to get the Size and Position box to open. Then the same thing happens when I try to adjust the width and height and vertical and horizontal positions.

I have to wait until the cursor stops its animations before I can get the normal arrow pointer to click on what I want. This is taking ages where it should just be a few simple clicks.

So instead of just one click for each action, I have to click several times while waiting for this animated cursor to stop animating. It is driving me round the bend !

Lyn

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Eww. I guess it would drive me around the bend too. Problem is, there is nowhere to go 'round the bend.

I half think that I'd close everything up and Start-Run

publisher.exe /regserver

(where publisher.exe is the executable name for publisher--which I'm not sure of)

5. Lyn Patterson

Dreamboat

I think the problem is confined to that one doc. Bear in mind it was the first time I had used Publisher and I was clicking on all sorts of things to try and find my way round.

I have just done another brochure and had no problems at all. I know what I am doing now and there are no cursor problems. I think I must have inadvertently activated something.

Am really pleased with Publisher - will stick with it for that sort of work.

Thanks for your time !

Lyn

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Anytime. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice