1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor Problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jenisbro, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenisbro

jenisbro Thread Starter

The mouse cursor on my computer tends to randomly move, especially when i'm playing games like Age of empires/the sims 2/sim city 4. i'll go to move it, and it will randomly shoot off in a direction, usually the bottom right hand corner, and it will take a few seconds for me to get control of it again.

2. Athan

Athan

Am i correct in assuming that you are using a USB optic mouse ?
    Can you post the specs of your machine !

~a

3. jenisbro

jenisbro Thread Starter

Yes i am, sorry about that. System specs: Windows XP Pro, Pentium D 830, 2gig Patriot DDR2, Segate 500 gig HDD, ASUS p5nd2 sli mobo, geforce 7800gtx.

4. PrivatePC

PrivatePC

Is it the logitech mouse, or the mouse that uses a ball, those ones are old. The onther ones have the lazers.

5. jenisbro

jenisbro Thread Starter

Its an optical mouse. I used to have a cordless rechargeable one hooked up, and when the problems started, i assumed it was the cordless mouse so i tryed another cordless mouse, did the same thing. So i got an optical mouse with a cord, still messed up so i took it back and i'm currently using an older optical mouse.. no idea the brand.. the entire top of it is silver. Although i dont think it really matters what kind of mouse i'm using, because every kind of mouse i've used wont solve the problem.

6. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

What surface are you using your mouse on?

If it's shiny or reflective in any way, the optical mouse will get confused and shoot the cursor off all over the place. Try using your mouse on a different surface than the one you're using at the moment.

7. Athan

Athan

I'd agree here !

Try using a dark colored Mouse pad and see if that helps !!

~a

8. Taios

Taios

When i had a cordless mouse (it was a ball one) it would randomly move to the screen aswell. I think its something to do with cordless mouses.

9. Athan

Athan

I have seen this quite a few times now !
    The problem is generally with USB optic mouse .... they would just shoot across the screen to one corner !!The best fix i found was to get a black mouse pad ;)
    If there is a better fix, i'd sure like to know about it ...but since this has more to do with reflective issues i think there's not much that can be done about it !

~a

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice