1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor suddenly acting erratically

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Madk, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Madk

Madk Thread Starter

Hi Guys:

My cursor has suddenly started to act erratically. I noticed the problem 2 days ago. It is an intermittent problem, lasting several seconds then pauses for several seconds or hours. The cursor moves rapidly from side to side, slowly moving to the left of the monitor.

I have an older cordless optical mouse so my first thought was a bad mouse but the new corded mouse exhibits the same issue. I have tried different mice, different ports, replacing batteries, updating drivers, etc, etc.

I then noticed the cursor continues to move even when no mouse is connected to the PC. This made me suspect perhaps some kind of malicious software. I ran my anti-virus, spyware and rootkit software and detected nothing.

My last hope is the HJT log. I am hoping you might see something lurking about in the bowels of the machine.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Attached Files:

2. xLostSoulx

xLostSoulx

I know this may seem pointless and stupid but try cleaning your system from dust "bunnies". Even if it doesn't fix your mouse issue it could potentially speed up your computer.

Also, if you have another computer, try plugging your default mouse into that one and seeing if the problem occurs (if you wish to risk another mouse issue).

Best of luck.

3. Madk

Madk Thread Starter

Thanks. I actually gave the box a good cleaning about 2 weeks ago. How's the log look?

4. Compaq__

Compaq__

Laptop or desktop? Sometimes the touchpad starts to go bad on laptops and causes this issue.

5. xLostSoulx

xLostSoulx

I would love to say it looks clean, but I know nothing about these logs (I was just recommending something that you could do). As far I as I know, the running programs seem fine, though it looks as you don't have a running anti-virus. Also, I may be wrong here, but you are using AVG Anti-Spyware and Rookit, but you are using Norton for the Anti-Virus, though it is not running.

If you have Anti-Spyware on Norton, then I would advise for you to remove the AVG Anti-Spyware as mixing protection can cause deadly issues (to your computer). If Norton doesn't have Anti-Spyware than your good to go.

Have you tried my second suggestion (the mouse)?

Kind Regards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice