1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Custom Building Advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave82man, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave82man

dave82man Thread Starter

I planning to start upgrading my Custom-built PC for the first time since 2010. With a few little upgrades the build has served me very well (gaming video editing, internet etc). In doing so I am thinking off using a Custom Build Website to check for compatibility and then buy the parts separately where the price is good. However, I do not want to replace everything where I can avoid it to save money.

My current build:

CPU

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM

12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-P55-US3L (Socket 1156)

Graphics

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EALS-00Z8A0 ATA Device (SATA)

298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives

LG Super Multi blue - HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 ATA Device

PSU

CASECOM 500W 275w

CASE

KM-6988

So basically:

I would like to replace the following:

Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooling Fan, RAM, GPU, PSU

I would like to keep the following:

The Case, Bluray Drive, the other Fans, My Hard drives and a fitted box with a SD card slot and extra USB (no idea of the make)

So I want

i7 Core CPU and Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB (it’s just the right size and price for me). I do not plan to buy the very best out there, but in the middle range where the price is good. My original budget for my current build was only £600 (before the future minor upgrades).

So basically, I need a new motherboard that’s the same size as the one I currently have (ATX?). And will have the correct sockets.

1). Would the things I want to keep still connect to today’s Mother Boards?

2). Any good 500w to 600w PSU that I can use now then carry on using when I go full upgrade?

Thank you.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    1) Nothing has changed in years. Nothing to worry about concerning what you are keeping.

2) You would want a Tier 1 model. I use and recommend Seasonic. Ref here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Also, you didn't mention which exact cpu, but unless you are going for a big upgrade (and your budget doesn't reflect that), I don't know how much of a performance increase you are going to see. That will of course depend on usage, but a similar i7 isn't much faster. You can compare here: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-860-vs-Intel-Core-i5-750

In other words, until you need the performance and have the budget for a motherboard/cpu (high end i7)/RAM upgrade, I would likely just replace the power supply / video card and leave it be.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. dave82man

dave82man Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I saved those links.

With regards to the PSU I'm not looking for the best as I've not been using the best and got good mileage out of it. I'm looking to spend under £100. In the £60 to £70 range (I use ebuyer.com and Amazon). Length of current model is 15o x 90 x 140mm (atx standard size?).

This any good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Su...&qid=1494615039&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+TX650
    or
    https://www.cclonline.com/product/1.../EVGA-600W-Power-Supply-Unit-80-Plus/PSU0906/

CPU I have a a 1st Gen model and so that will be updated when I get a new Motherboard. In regards to my budget I will see what I can get in the £700 and then work from there.

Also as for the Video card, the 'will this work on my set up?' across the internet I find every possible answer, 'yes,' 'no,' 'maybe,' 'find out for yourself,' and 'don't know.' :confused: For older more powerful cards I prefer to buy brand new and need one with at least 2 HDMI sockets on the back. So I'm saving that for the new Motherboard as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The only requirement for a video card to work are the proper slot on the motherboard and sufficient power. As noted above, there have been no changes in years (ie: PCI-E slots). Any PCI-E video card will work on any motherboard from the last several years with a PCI-E slot (which should be nearly all of them as it's the standard interface, especially in regards to video).

As for power, I've made my recommendation. Yes, there are numerous brands/models available and most will work just fine in basic builds. I've used many over the years as well. But the power supply is the most important piece in the box. And they have a habit of taking other hardware with them when they fail. Again, look for a tier 1 model, and there are Seasonic units in that price range. And yes, they all use a standard mount and are all generally the same dimensions.

5. dave82man

dave82man Thread Starter

Thank you the search is easier now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice