Custom Built Computer Boot Drive vs Storage Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cub1982

I recently had a computer custom built at a repair store. A couple of weeks back my start menu stopped working because of a Windows 10 update. I decided to wipe everything and reinstall Windows. I have done this many times in the past on other computers with no problem. This time it was quite a headache. I have 2 hard drives. I first removed the data from both drives, then assumed Windows should be installed on the smaller drive. After installing there I realized I had no access to the larger drive anymore. So I started over and installed instead on the larger drive. After doing this I finally admitted that I had no idea what I was doing. I brought it back to the repair store and asked them to make it the way it was when I bought it. They did so with no questions asked, but I'm worried about it happening again. The main issue is I have no idea how the two drives are configured. If I need to reinstall Windows again, how can I set this up correctly?

These are the two drives I have:

Boot Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Thank you!

upload_2016-1-3_13-59-54.png

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is disk 2 an external 2TB hard drive ?

Going by your pic you seem to have Disk 0 of about 50GB that isn't being used and Disk 1 of 1TB which has everything on it !

If Disk 2 is an external drive disconnect it and see if the PC still boot into Windows ok.

cub1982

Is disk 2 an external 2TB hard drive ?

Going by your pic you seem to have Disk 0 of about 50GB that isn't being used and Disk 1 of 1TB which has everything on it !

If Disk 2 is an external drive disconnect it and see if the PC still boot into Windows ok.
Disk 2 is an external drive for backup. When removed it boots into Windows just fine. I was startled when I saw the configuration as it looks like drive(disk) 0 isn't doing anything. Is that correct? My assumption is that the boot drive would speed up the startup in particular, but since it's showing unallocated is it able to do anything?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes disk 0 isn't formatted and can't be used for anything until it is. It's size seems wrong too at about 50GB instead of 120, what does it show as under Device Manager > Disk drives ?

You said you 'wiped everything', how did you do it ?

Last edited:

cub1982

Yes disk 0 isn't formatted and can't be used for anything until it is. It's size seems wrong too at about 50GB instead of 120, what does it show as under Device Manager > Disk drives ?

You said you 'wiped everything', how did you do it ?
When I go to Device Manager under Disk Drives, its labeled as "Samsun SSD 850 EVO 120 GB" Thats strange that it shows about 50 GB in Disk Management but it is labeled differently in Device Manager.

As far as wiping goes, I erased all data on each drive when reinstalling Windows. I ended up bringing it back to the repair store after I installed. They setup everything the way they had when I purchased it, basically undoing what I had done.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you deleted the partition on the SSD that would explain why it's showing as 'unallocated' now. The size should be close to 120GB though, not sure why it only shows as 50GB. Try formatting it by right-clicking it in Disk Management > Format and see what happens to the size.

cub1982

Someone suggested that the OS appears to be on the 1TB HDD, and that they set up my SSD as a 64GB cache using Intel RST and then just ignored the rest of the SSD (hence the unallocated 48GB).

A 120GB SSD gives you about 93% of the "marketed" 120GB, so about 111.6 minus the 64GB cache, and that would leave 47.6GB (since the 93% is approximate, that accounts for the unused space that I see as unallocated space on the SSD). And disk management won't show the space that is used by the Intel cache -- the 64GB.

cub1982

One more related question. How would I install the OS to the SSD and then get the HDD to show up. I tried that when all of this happened. When I installed to the SSD, I only then saw one drive, the SSD on my desktop. The HDD was not visible. Would I need to change something in the BIOS settings or something? Is there somewhere I can find the steps to configure that way?

Oddba11

Jim
It's typically recommended to only have the primary drive connected when installing the OS. After the OS is installed, patched, and running, then connect any additional drives. All additional drives should be recognized by Windows during bootup. They will of course need to be partitioned/formatted before use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online