Custom making a computer...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Souljah123

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
65
Yes, im about to make a custom computer, buying all the parts and putting them together, i just wanted to ask that if i just put everything together, will it load up so i can install the windows disc and have it run normally? Cuz ive heard that u need to configure some stuff... :confused:
 
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
1,661
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
68
Good sites to start u off. When building a pc u have ot take into account what you want to put in the case and what your using it for. LIke for me, the pc I've built is soley for gaming which need some massive hardware for the greatest gaming experience ever. My PC is pretty great itself, the motherboard is an Asus. Memory is standard PC2700 ddr ram 1gb, while the graphics is the new ati radeon x800 graphics card, etc... Experiment and shop around to see what you want and what can fit that small budget of yours!!
 

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
19,786
Well first off make a list of the things you would like in the computer and check the compatibility with the motherboard. Basically you have to start off with which processor you want to use; INTEL or AMD. Then find a motherboard that supports the cpu you want to use. Then find some Memory that your motherboard supports. Also take into consideration that alot of new motherboards have the new Serial ATA hard drive interfaces. Some new motherboards may be shipping with the brand spanking new PCI-X slots as well for Video cards. Might want to consider getting a video card that can fit into that slot vs an AGP slot. Make sure you find a good heatsink and fan for your smoking fast new computer that will be outdated in a few months. Buy a case fan or two as well. I always purchase the case last. usually the cheapest I can find because I really don't care what it looks like as long as it works.
 
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,544
HotShot725 said:
Good sites to start u off. When building a pc u have ot take into account what you want to put in the case and what your using it for. LIke for me, the pc I've built is soley for gaming which need some massive hardware for the greatest gaming experience ever. My PC is pretty great itself, the motherboard is an Asus. Memory is standard PC2700 ddr ram 1gb, while the graphics is the new ati radeon x800 graphics card, etc... Experiment and shop around to see what you want and what can fit that small budget of yours!!
Het HotShot what asus mobo do you have? See my specs below. ;)
 
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Messages
44
Squashman said:
I always purchase the case last. usually the cheapest I can find because I really don't care what it looks like as long as it works.
If you buy a case/power supply combination this could be a mistake. A cheap power supply can lead to all kinds of problems.

Even without the PS I think a nice case has benefits beyond appearance. It will be easy to assemble, provide good air flow, etc. I recently purchased a Antec P160 and found it a joy to work with.

Paul
 

Souljah123

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
65
Thanks guys, my computer right now is okay... but I just cant play BF2 w/o lag for some reason! So this is the system specs:
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR S939
DFI LANPARTY NF4 SLI-DR MOTHERBOARD ATX S939
Some good 2gb of ram
2x 7800 GTX in SLI
1 40 gig HD
1 250 gig HD
Im keeping my old case, it looks too sweet.
I got another question, so my case has 4 fans right now, 1 top ( outtake), 1 rear ( out take ), 2 side fans ( intake ) and i have a fan holder in the front, should i make it intake or out take?
 
Joined
Mar 16, 2002
Messages
13,404
Souljah123 said:
Yes, im about to make a custom computer, buying all the parts and putting them together, i just wanted to ask that if i just put everything together, will it load up so i can install the windows disc and have it run normally? Cuz ive heard that u need to configure some stuff... :confused:
do yourself a favor and take back that "some funny" psu and get an Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Sparkle Power power supply, cheap psuz are just not worth the hassle and they can do damage to your new stuff.
 

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
19,786
paul2432 said:
If you buy a case/power supply combination this could be a mistake. A cheap power supply can lead to all kinds of problems.

Even without the PS I think a nice case has benefits beyond appearance. It will be easy to assemble, provide good air flow, etc. I recently purchased a Antec P160 and found it a joy to work with.

Paul
Good point. I forgot about the PS. I usually buy a case without one these days and get a good 400 watt power supply.
 
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
202
i reccommend thermaltake cases. they maybe partly expensive but I doubt you will run out of room plus you can acces the internals with a side door and it comes with a good p/s and fans. lots of airflow. remember most parts of your computer will be outdated in less then 6 months.
 
Joined
Mar 16, 2002
Messages
13,404
nj12nets said:
i reccommend thermaltake cases. they maybe partly expensive but I doubt you will run out of room plus you can acces the internals with a side door and it comes with a good p/s and fans. lots of airflow. remember most parts of your computer will be outdated in less then 6 months.
good point (y) dont cheap-out on the case, that is 1 thing that you will most likely have to live with for some time, and a well designed case helps with keeping your system cool as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133132

this one is even on sale, or was on sale, crap
 
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
202
make sure if your running a high end computer that has a good processor 1 or 2 cores and a high end gfx card that you have at least 3 fans in there with at least one at the hdd one at the processor heatsink and one near the pci, the agp ports and the memory. so definitley have at least 3 - 4 fans to keep your system cool.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Top