1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Custom-PC won't activate screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pwn0nsight, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pwn0nsight

Pwn0nsight Thread Starter

I placed an add on a dutch website in which I asked for free computerparts so i could build a custom pc. I got a case, motherboard and powersupply from a friend, these are as good as new. I can boot it, the "on" LEDs start glowing and i can open/close the cd/dvddrive but i don't get anything on the screen. I tried 2 monitors, one went back to sleepmode and the other one just kept blinking his little green light. So there just no signal, i tried to hook the monitor up to the VGA on the videocard and the VGA socket on the motherboard but the screens remain black. Putting CD/DVD's in the drives won't help (the monitor software CD from an other monitor and the installation DVD of Windows Vista)

How can i get this PC to show me something?

(i have no idea if there's an OS installed, i was expecting to see the BIOS or something)

This is the first time im doing this so keep the instructions as simple as possible please!

Thanks in advance!!! :)

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

if you removed the AGP PCIx VGA when you tested the onboard then it is likley the MoBo.

Try disconnecting your HDD, CD, FDD, USB, etc. basicly everything but psu, run the onboard VGA if you still get nothing, try a diferent PSU, if that dosent work it is most likley a dead MoBo

DID YOU OBSERVE CORRECT STATIC PRECAUTIONS???

let us know how it goes.

cybersloth

3. Pwn0nsight

Pwn0nsight Thread Starter

I disconnected the diskdrives and hdds and now the leds burn but nothing else is working. I didn't test anything, i just put it together.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would be very helpful if we didn't have to guess at the problem with out the Specs, Please post your system specs, To include Make and model info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

5. cybersloth

cybersloth

and remember to disconnect the power from the HDD CD/DVD as well as the data cables.

you could also try another power suply, also many modern mobos have more than one power connector and if you forget the 4/8p 12V connecter it will do what yours is doing.

and yeah, please post your specs like dustyjay said.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice