1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Customising Error Messages

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gbrandwood, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gbrandwood

gbrandwood Thread Starter

Dear all

I'm using IIS as my webserver. I know that it allows me to customise error messages. Great - but only if the user has an error on that server (fair enough I suppose ;) ).

Access to the Internet (here) is through a proxy server (sat on our UNIX firewall). I want to give users who fail to connect to a web page, a customised error that gives them some real advice.

Is this possible? Would the error they see be determined by the firewall or the browser software?

Thanks for any ideas.

Regards

Gareth

2. Rockn

Rockn

Unless the web site they are trying to access is under your administration, the error messages are generated by the server the pages sit on. You can of course modify any of you IIS error messages easily.

3. gbrandwood

Thanks - I thought it might be something along those lines.

BUT - if I typed in http://www.anaddressthatdoesntexist.com

I get the following error:

"DNS Host lookup failure: www.anaddressthatdoesntexist.com"

Is that generated by the proxy server? Is so, I guess I'll have to get the proxy server manager to let me explore the option of customising error pages on his server.

Regards

Gareth

4. Rockn

Rockn

Most of the errors like 404 or 550 and the like are generated from a web server. All your proxy does is forward packets. There are also some client side errors that are generated from your PC via IE and SHDOCLC.DLL

5. gbrandwood

Thanks again, Rockn.

I'll look into SHDOCLC.DLL. I think that is where the IE "Cannot find server" error message comes from. If I could only edit that!

Kind regards

Gareth

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Some advanced proxy software allow you to do this... Specifically, I believe that Novell's proxy software, whose name escapes me, allows for it.

Here's what happens: the client's system asks for the page from the proxy, who asks for the page from the Internet. If it can't be found, instead of allowing the client's system to time out or error, the proxy jumps the gun and returns a page. The client's system doesn't really know there was an error, it's just given a page from the proxy.

7. gbrandwood

Hmm - the proxy server / firewall that we are using (Raptor) does that too. I've noticed some errors have generated by "WWW Proxy" on the end.

But, SHDOCLC.DLL is my solution. Using a resource hacker, I can edit the IE5 generated error messages meaning I can achieve my original objective - the error message that I need to edit is in that dll! Fantastic. All I need to do is include the DLL in the drive image for all new PCs. Exisiting PCs, those using ZENworks, can have the update applied automatically!

Thanks for all your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice