1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cwaudio.bin file missing from startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chriscmissle, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chriscmissle

chriscmissle Thread Starter

Somehow my duaghter has deleted the cwaudio.bin file from her startup on an aptiva. I can find the file but cannot access it. She has also managed to remove her CD drive. Is there any way to get these back w/o losing everything on the computer. She has a lot of games and schoolwork that would be difficult to lose. They will not open in safemode. That is the only way the computer will work. Any help is appreciated.

2. ezymony

ezymony

what operating sys are you running shouldnt be much trouble to get the cd back up

3. chriscmissle

It's an old old old computer. Aptiva. Win 95 plus.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Is she getting an error messsage at start up? Here's a site I think might be of some help to you:
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/drivers/crystal/

When you open My Computer is the CD Drive there?
    Go to Device Manager and have a look at the Hard Drive Controllers. Are ther any yellow exclamation points showing?

5. ezymony

ezymony

hope the drivers are not gone what you think mo?

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

ezymony,

The site I linked has an explanation for the error and also updates. Let's hope this is going to be OK and is just the annoying error according to what I read. (It's really hard typing when I'm keeping my fingers crossed.) The other night it was mentioned that this same computer no longer had the install disk. Down the road that could be a real problem.

Mo

7. chriscmissle

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the input. No there is no error message because that agrivating black screen with 4 virticle lines is back. The only way to open is in the safemode. I have, however, located the original disks from the computer at my son's condo. Thank goodness he is like most college kids and doesn't clean up very often. Is it time? I hate to lose the things she has on there but ..... I would rather have a useable computer than not.

No, there is no driver listed. Ouch.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You are so lucky. Actually, some restore disks have the option to install without a format. That would replace any corrupt files. The problem with that is Win95 can act up if you don't remove IE4 and above before you overinstall. To cure a possible problem with drag and drop, copy and paste, reinstall IE if you need to. Or Download and install DCOM for Win95 from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/download.asp

The DCOM is for the possible copy and paste etc.

If you still have problems, sometimes a Format and reinstall is the only thing.

If that doesn't help, look for a Hardware problem. But let's take it one step at a time.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

10. chriscmissle

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow and let you know where I stand. I hate feeling like a lame brain, guess if I hang around this site long enough I might actually learn a thing or two about computers. Thanks for everything.

11. deanas

deanas

It's not always necessary to reformat the
    harddrive to reinstall windows. If you want a
    clean install ( that is not over the old install)
    all you need to do is name a different folder
    to install windows on. You still need to install
    all software & you have to delete the old
    windows installation, but it's worked for me.

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

deanas,
    That option is a good one. The problem is generally restore disks don't give it to you. Using a restore disk makes you a captive audience to the choices it gives. It will also take you back to day one. All software which was originally installed will be back. Anti Virus if it was included will have to be removed because it will be so out of date.

13. deanas

deanas

Always used win cdrom install. didn't know
    recovery disk limits. Thanks for the tip.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice