1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cyclic Redundancy Check?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kplgmc, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kplgmc

kplgmc Thread Starter

I am trying to move and outlook .pst file and I get an error that says there was a cyclic redundancy check and I cannot copy or move or do anything with the file. Anyone know what this is?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Is Outlook running?
    What are you using to move it?
    And, out of curiousity, where are you moving it to, and why?

3. kplgmc

kplgmc Thread Starter

I was moving the file from one laptop to another. The user is being upgraded to a new machine because the old one is off warranty. I ran chkdsk and scanpst.exe and I am able to move the file but I cannot download any new emails to the machine. Any thoughts? Thanks!

4. Rockn

Rockn

CRC errors are probably because the file is open or in use somewhere and the copy procedure fails because the source and destination files are not the same. Once the PST file is transferred you need to set up the email account and point the Outlook settings to store and retrieve emails from the file you copied over.

5. kplgmc

kplgmc Thread Starter

Once the PST file is transferred you need to set up the email account and point the Outlook settings to store and retrieve emails from the file you copied over.

That is what is giving me trouble. I moved the files to the new machine and I setup Outlook to use those files in the persoanl folder but no new emails will download.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

How did you actually move them?
    Did you use Export / Import?

7. Rockn

Rockn

You do not have to Import/Export to get a PST file to work. You probably have more than one email profile set up.

8. kplgmc

kplgmc Thread Starter

You probably have more than one email profile set up.

No, it is a fresh setup with the 1 profile. I have it setup with the exchange server but the emails will not move from exchange into the personal folders. It worksfine with a different .pst file. I am convinced this file is the problem. I am hoping there is a way to save all of these emails. Thanks for the help, any more throughts?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice