1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cylinders and sectors on award bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaimer, Sep 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

I just purchased a 30 gig ata 100 maxtor hdd.The award bios on my m7vkb biostar board is june of 2000.Auto detect worked fine??The drive went in as lba/30737mb.Thats the same as default.I used maxblast to make 1 partition.I inserted a win98 boot disk to get the cdrom driver,typed 'setup' and then windows said '30,706,386,512 bytes'=28.5 gigs. 30,737,000,000 is what I thought it should say.What happened to 21mb?
    Is it the fat system that rounds these numbers off to suit the windows operating system,or did I do something wrong? Another thing is I have 16mb clusters.How would I change them to 32 mb? Would 32 give better performance? My bios is so up to date that I can't enter any settings on the ide devices manually except access mode.The drive shows up as a generic ide disk also.HELP!!!I know a little about computers but I don't know alot more.

2. RonK

RonK

A Windows meg is something like 1.048 meg so the figure being shown to you is correct.
    My Maxtor HD also shows as generic type 47 HD.
    Make sure you have DMA checked.
    I think you mean 16k and 32k clusters. I've tried different cluster settings and didn't notice any difference. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by RonK (edited 09-16-2000).]

3. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

well... I lied. Maxtor says 58135-cyl -[actual], 16383-max cyl ,16 hd,63 sec. =30.7 gig=30,003 mb. Bios reads 3736-cyl,255hd,63 sec =30731mb=30.7 gig.Am I all setup for data loss? Windows,bios,and the maxtor all say something different.Should I install the Maxblast ez-bios software? I hate disk managers.Do they all read a byte the same and have a different system for multiplying them? [windows says 28.5 gig=30706mb]

4. RonK

RonK

I get those same differnt readings as well. Don't use the ez-bios. I don't think you will have any problems. My setup is Maxtor 13.6 gig as my C drive (Windows98SE) and 2 Maxtor ultra/100 20 gig drives on an Abit HotRod/100 controller card (Programs and storage). Been setup like this for a long time with no problems !
    Example:My drives show as follows:
    13.6 gig =13,635,506,176 = 12.6 Gig
    2- Maxtor 20 gig together 39,734,771,712 = 37.8 Gig

[This message has been edited by RonK (edited 09-17-2000).]

5. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

I guess I messed up somewhere.I think I forgot to press enter in the bios when I went to auto-detect.The first surface scan reported errors.I manually fdisk'ed and formatted after double checking that auto was enabled in the bios.The bytes windows reported in my second installation were the same number as the first but a complete surface scan indicated no errors.I think that everyone should use the binary method or the decimal method of reading bytes.I was so confused.Storagereview.com gave me a crash course in how harddrives,bios,and windows relate disk space to each other.It seems that the more I learn about computers the less I really know.I've had a computer in my house for a year and learned something every day.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!