Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

D: Data Drive Disappeared

849 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I have an HP Pavilion 570-p023w. Recently, the Data D: drive is gone. Everything that I have saved on it is gone, but the C: drive is still there. They are one in the same drive. The D: drive is the 1tb drive that I have been saving everything too. I was playing a game the other day and my pc froze. When I restarted it, the drive was missing. I have looked in Disk Management, I have run a chkdsk on cmd. I have tried startup repair, I have tried updating BIOS, I have even opened up the computer and replaced the HDD cable. Please will someone help me figure out what has happened to my drive.
Rectangle Product Azure Font Screenshot
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Number
Rectangle Product Azure Font Screenshot
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Number
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What is the make and model of your hard disk(s)?

Depending on the manufacturer there may be a hard drive test tool available? You can also try to download a Partition Recovery software. I've succesfully used EaseUS Partition Recovery in the past. It's not free but you can download a trial version to run. THat'll tell you if there are recoverable partitions on your drive. Click HERE for a trial version.

#8 ·
Based on the above post, this statement:
They are one in the same drive
is not true. It would appear you've got a 128GB M.2 SSD C: drive and probably a 1TB spinning HDD. They are separate devices. Open the case and see if one of the drive's cables has come loose. Maybe reseat both of the cables on either end.

#9 ·
Like "Gr3iz" said. "You do have two different drives in the machine. One is a SSD 128GB and the other a "regular" SATA drive.
Again, as suggested by Mark, unplug the cable of the SATA drive from both ends. Ideally use a new cable, plug it in to a different SATA port, use a different power connector, if possible. Then reboot and see if the Bios will recognize the drive. If it does not, then you can remove the drive manually from the machine, purchase an external SATA to USB connector and try to plug in in externally.

HERE is a link to various connectors from Best-Buy. I can't endorse any of them though.

#10 ·
After reseating the pw and data connections as instructed [and it still does not work] I would boot the system with a linux boot usb. Very often linux will see a drive windows cannot. Use either linux mint or ubuntu. For this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.