Solved D Drive and Reallocated Sector Counts

bradley27

It occured to me that my 1TB D Drive located inside my rig was starting to sometimes fail on boot up or would disconnect itself some hours during use without notice. If it wasnt doing that it was performing the simple selection of an MP3 by myself to WMP quite slowly or even teasing a heavy crashout.

My music MP3 library is based on this D Drive (backed up) and with Windows 10 based on my other main C Drive i noticed the other morning that all my MP3s had vanished off Windows Media Player.

I just tried to run a Check Disk scan and it wouldnt start so i downloaded Crystal Disk Info and the D Drive is displaying as 'Caution' (in yellow) and has a yellow dot next to Reallocated Sector Counts 97, 97, 10 and is at 27c temperature.

Can i confirm if this means i might need a new harddrive to replace this one which soley stores my MP3 library (60gb), iTunes player installation and also the airport scenery installations (169gb) for Prepar3D v4. The reason i list whats on it is i wonder IF it needs replacing could i simply copy the contents to a temp folder on my desktop, remove the old drive and connect a new one then copy those folders back onto the new D Drive?...Would that work or is that not quite how it works?

Last edited:

bradley27

Properties>Tools>Check

Its just not responding when i try and prompt this process...

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is something else amiss - I think
You had a problem with this D drive earlier on
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d-drive-gone-weird.1248421/#post-9726446

I think I am correct in saying that you also had a problem with another drive

Send the results of this please
We recommend that you download our free system info utility. When you run it, it will show technical specifications of your computer. Please copy and paste that information and include it with your question below. Thank you!
and include please the make and full model of the PSU

I find it hard to believe that an external drive suffers the problems it did, then D drive and SSD apparently has problems and in JUly you bought another new drive - C drive
So some months ago i posted on here with what i suspected was a corrupt harddrive. I was unable to really edit or work on any files for my hobby without the PC failing when i shut it down at the end of the evening. I could tell when it would fail because on shutdown the system or drive rather made is single metallic click sound which began signalling to me that when i would attempt to reboot the next day the PC would power up, fail, try again, fail, try again and then shoot to the repair screens. This would then leave me with one option to what i guess was it rolling back to a restore point some days ago.

I forked out for a new C DRIVE
and yet as I read it the whole setup is only two years old
Something is very wrong.

TEMPERATURE can cause drives to fail as can excess voltage on chips on SSD drives.

bradley27

Please answer my last and then we will progress to other checks
Okay thanks for taking the time BTW...

The rig is about 2 years old now, initially out of the blue one evening back in Spring (this goes back to one of the older posts you just dug up) i heard a metallic clink on shutdown and thought that was something i never hear, this resulted in quite a few system restores and repeated failures on shutdown or reboot. I eventually gave in and bought a new C Drive SSD and had Windows freshly installed on that. I suddenly wondered if Windows Updates were playing a part so i disabled those for as long as i could and funny enough the shutdowns dissapeared and have done since. I do wonder if there was so kind of update back then that my PC just didnt like, only in the last few days have a allowed Windows to install updates and i can confirm no failures or anything.

Now with the D Drive that has only 'disconnected' itself once before this time during use, so its been connected and accessible but without notice just disappeared and the only way i noticed was if i went to select some music or plan a flight in P3D (D drive holds all that stuff) and ive been met with error messages. The only way to get it back is to reboot the PC and because this is the 2nd time now in about a month or so i am more curious to work out if this 1TB HDD might need replacing as well....but yeah it is quite strange.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20200527105231.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (339 GB Free); D: 931 GB (700 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-P, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 171013536701773
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750 750W ATX Power Supply (Bronze 80 Plus)

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please do not edit a post as it was only by checking that I knew you had added the detail
I am only notified of a new post, not an edit.

The PSU is of relatively good quality I was concerned that it maybe a cheapo

What please is the make and full model of D drive please

In the meantime although I am NOT saying that Crystal disc is wrong, you may wish to read this
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/suppo...-smart-diagnostic-utilities-results-203971en/

You can have reallocated sector count on a new SSD drive

bradley27

I downloaded SeaTools, ran a SMART test and that passed so i just did a short DST test and after about 10mins eventually came back with a fail

bradley27

Pardon me thats defo incorrect on my part, i was wondering where i wrote that but i see now it was on a post from back in July.

C Drive - SSD (Win10) - New Drive installed this Summer following older one failing on shutdowns/Reboots
D Drive - HDD (Music, P3D Sim addons, iTunes) - Current Drive in Question

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. What is the error code on the failure of the short test

2. Get your data copied from the drive

3. Run a FixAll on cdtools usb
Read the caution note please
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/manuals/software/seatools-bootable/using-seatools/#long-generic

Presuming you ran SeaTools for Windows as below - you cannot repair the internal drive from that software
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-c.../downloads/pdf/SeaTools-for-windows-en-us.pdf
you need to run from the bootable usb.

Seatools for Windows fail on short test can fail if it is a bad file - unreadable known as a soft bad block rather than a actual bad block

3. I am still concerned about these drives
IS the tower in a good open aspect from the point of air flow
You do not have it in some manner of cabinet etc or with a air inlet - against something - do you

bradley27

3. I am still concerned about these drives
IS the tower in a good open aspect from the point of air flow
You do not have it in some manner of cabinet etc or with a air inlet - against something - do you
It gets great fresh air, the tower has easy to remove front and top covers which i occasionally open just because i think ill give it more air flow, it sits on a custom base on wheels and i keep it dust free.

I have backed up stuff i need on it already just incase.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK
Check the connection between the drive and the SATA data lead - both at the drive and the board and also check the connection at the sata power lead
Both of those if not properly made can result in a fail on the Short DST - drive self test

bradley27

Check the connection between the drive and the SATA data lead - both at the drive and the board and also check the connection at the sata power lead
Both of those if not properly made can result in a fail on the Short DST - drive self test
I checked that earlier today actually and even replugged them in carefully just to be sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts