Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I cannot find that test code
Your drive warranty in case you did not know is

Your ProductBarraCuda 3.5 HDDModel NumberST1000DM010SerialNumberZ9AKPLVQ

Warranty Expired 17 February 2020

So I do not think you will be going anywhere with Seagate

I still think that you are either extremely unlucky with the drives or there is some other manner of problem.

I presume you do know that when a spinning hard drive is running, on read or write operatrions the slightest movement of the drive can cause the read/write head to collide with the spinning platters, the gap is minimal -

You could ask Seagate
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/contacts/

Supplying details as emboldened above and the details in post 16 of the test, you MAY just possibly although it is out of warranty get an offer on purchase of the one you mention to replace it

I suggest you - run other test and see where you go from there.

bradley27

I suggest you - run other test and see where you go from there.
I am looking/thinking of upgrading this drive now to SSD, was looking on Amazon last night and they are quite expensive in the 1TB area.

Are both of these compatible and along with that question how hard/long a process is it to then once delivered take out the old HDD drive (which is now empty as i uninstalled everything today) and install the new SSD and make that the new D Drive which is effectively a storage type drive?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SD...hild=1&keywords=ssd+1tb&qid=1603453242&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VGFBX5H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XBVFGQ5DX09Q&psc=1

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Very simple - hiow long depends on how familiar with opening case taking out drive from present storage position, is it screws and quick release clips
and inserting new one.
You will likely have to rmeove both sides of case.
And you will likely need an adapter - 2.5 to 3.5 as your desktop case may only have 3.5 drive shelf fitting supplied.

Are you doing the test or just siomply buying a new one.?

bradley27

You will likely have to remove both sides of case.
And you will likely need an adapter - 2.5 to 3.5 as your desktop case may only have 3.5 drive shelf fitting supplied.

Are you doing the test or just siomply buying a new one.?
I will test it now but i am swinging towards the upgrade option, i thought maybe that ScanDisk drive was just for Laptops but obviously the price caught my attention so wanted to be sure it wasnt just a lack in product discription.
Luckily the sides come off very easily, i had it open yesterday to check the connections were both in properly and yes i believe i noticed the C Drive (Now SSD) was screwed to brackets to hold it in place and the HDD is bigger . To release them from their brackets you pinch the 2 handles to get them out.

bradley27

My Dad just went ahead and ordered a new 1TB SSD and a 2.5 to 3.5 platform kit so thats coming tomorrow now which overrules the point of testing the HDD any further...

I will ask though when that all arrives tomorrow and please correct me if im wrong but i would totally unplug my PC then open the side up and locate the HDD (current D Drive) and remove that, fit the new SSD (New D Drive) to the platform with screws and then connect that up with the 2 cables that were attached to the old HDD, close the side up, reconnect the power for the PC and boot up?

Will it need formatting or renaming?

Ill say again thanks for your support on this matter really.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Be very careful when securing the new 2.5 to the mounting bracket
I do not know if your new SSD comes with mounting screws, but do not presume you can use the ones that secure the 3.5 existing drive.
Length can be critical

2. You shutdown, disconnect power cord and of course all other connections
open case
although the drive casing is not susceptible to static as touching a ram chip would be, take hold of the bare metal of the case to ensure you have discharged yourself of any static, this can easily build up when working for instance on a carpet

disconnect sata leads from drive, do not pull cable take hold of plastic end - be careful you do not have locking clip on cable
However you say you have already disconnected and reconnected those.

Release drive - insert new drive in mounting bracket and secure bracket to case mounting frame.

replace side of case that is on closed side of mounting surfaces

Leave other side off, so that you can satisfy yourself that fans are spinning etc.
Especially if you have had to disconnect any other cables to take out/replace drive.

reconnect all cables to tower
Power on.
========================================================================================
DESKTOP COMPUTER - SSD Installation
To install your SSD in a desktop computer, follow these steps.
NOTE: If your computer has a 2.5-inch drive bay, you will not need to install the 3.5-inch mounting adapter.

1. Make sure your computer is powered off and the power cable is disconnected.

2. Open your desktop computer case (refer to your computer’s manual for instructions).

3. Locate your existing HDD.

4. Unplug the SATA data cable and SATA power cable from your existing HDD and remove the drive from the bay.

5. In most desktop computers, before installing your SSD, first you must install it into the 3.5-inch mounting adapter. In order to do this, follow the instructions that cae with your mounting adapter.

6. Next install your new SanDisk SSD into your computer’s drive bay and connect the SATA data cable and SATA power cable.

INSTALL SSD IN DRIVE BAY

Check if drive is shown in This computer
I believe that the SanDisk may come formatted FAT and may show - HOWEVER SEE BELOW re NTFS file system.
If not

2. Right Click on the Windows button on your desktop

3. Select Disk Management. Then you will see the SSD as Disk # Unknown, Not Initialized with capacity listed. The volume will show Unallocated.

4. Right click on the disk number and select Initialize Disk then click OK. Your SSD will show as Disk # Basic, Online.

5. Right click on the unallocated volume and select New simple volume., letter D
and partition as you wish or simply leave as the total 1TB
Format it NTFS in order for 10 to allow TRIM ot function.
and eliminate the risk of it being defragged
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...-support-solid-state-drives-windows-10-a.html

bradley27

Thanks, ill certainly feedback tomorrow and confirm if it all went swimmingly or it totally went FUBAR

Cheers!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I will wait to hear from you.
As I have said a number of times
new drive for C
new external after cable shorted
now new storage
all within two years
YOU are either very unlucky or the drives are failing for some other reason

bradley27

YOU are either very unlucky or the drives are failing for some other reason
I hope its soley down to just bad luck.

Okay so i have managed to complete it all, the drive is NTFS formatted and down as the new D drive and its working fine thus far so thanks again for all the replies. Great help via a broadband line.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Mark it solved please when you are happy all is OK
Click mark solved on your opening post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online