1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D Drive Disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dank95, Jun 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. dank95

dank95 Thread Starter

Hi,

About an hour ago I plugged in my thumb drive to transfer files into the D Drive. Computer prompted a scan and repair on the thumbdrive, but I ignored it.

I then went into my D Drive, and was about to edit one of the folder names when the D drive became "Not Responding".

I then forced shut down my computer and turned it on again, where Nvidia Geforce asked for an update. I stupidly installed the update, even though I have never seen a Nvidia update before.

After that, I noticed that my D drive has disappeared, and I am unable to access any of my files.

I have gone to Disk Management, but I only have one disk, Disk 0, which I believe is the C Drive. I cannot find any other disks to do the allocate/unallocate thing that I see online.

I have also tried to do a System Restore, but there are no restore points for me to go back to.

Am I ****ed?

Thank you for your help.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is drive D a partition or is it a physical drive? If it is a physical drive and if this is a desktop, open the side of the case and check that the hard drive cable plug is firmly pushed in - on both the hard drive end and the motherboard.

If you suspect this is caused by malware - a fake Nvidia Update, then, with the USB stick plugged in, do full scan with Windows 10 Windows Defender. Then download Malwarebytes and do a scan. Then google for 'online scan', there will be several big name antivirus companies that show up, like Kaspersky, ESET, Trendmicro. Do a scan with one of those - it will take 15 mins or more.

3. dank95

dank95 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply.

It is a laptop, Asus UX510U. How do I find out if it is a partition or physical drive? Sorry, I am really bad at this.

I have opened the bottom case of my laptop but I am unsure what I am supposed to plug/unplug too.

Thanks!

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Older laptops usually have only 1 hard drive bay. Don't know about newer ones. So I assume drive D is a partition on that one hard drive.

Go into BIOS and see if there are any diagnostics you can run.

5. dank95

dank95 Thread Starter

I went into the BIOS Utility - EZ Mode, and under Storage there was:

Serial ATA Port 0
    Empty
    Empty
    Empty

<I click right>

Serial ATA Port 1
    Empty
    Empty
    Empty

<I click right>

Serial ATA Port 2
    Device Type: Hard Disk (128GB)
    Model Name: HFS128G39TND-N210A
    Serial Number: FJ#############

My C Drive has a capacity of 118GB, so I assume Port 2 is referring to my C Drive.

Does this mean my D Drive has failed?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, looks like it has failed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice