D Drive-DVD does't recofnize DVD's OR CD's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

senrap

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP SP. Slightly over one year old and no prior problems. I have a D drive for DVD and CD's and a CD-R drive (E). Recently the DVD drive does not function. If I put insert a DVD or CD it asks me to insert one although one is already in. I tried booting up with one in the drive but didn't work. I uninstalled and let it reinstall but didn't work. I updated the drivers also. I have a firewall, mcafee antivirus and several spyware programs running regularly and there are no current issues. When I run troubleshooting it says everything is OK. I have tried running from the D icon in my computer as well as "run". Nothing works. Do not know what to do next.

I'm no expert but I can commiserate and tell you a few random facts about my own DVD woes. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a DVD rom drive that has been temperamental from day 1. There are some discs it will read just fine, others it will not dectect no matter what I try. I even have a boxed set of which it will detect and play discs 1,3,4 and 5, but not disc 2. In the past I have had some random successes with changing my choice of media player, restarting with the disc in place, opening and closing the tray a few times, but none of these solutions has worked consistently or often. I have not had these problems with audio CD's however, and I see that you have. Have you talked to Dell about replacing it if you're still under warranty? good luck, I'll be watching for more informative answers to your post!

bearone2

Banned
the drive may have died.

does the burner read the same cd's the dvd doesn't?

senrap

Everything works fine in the (e) drive CD-R. Its only the D Drive DVD-rom that seems to not recognize anything.

senrap

Thanks for the help: I was hoping it was a software issue but I guess not. Appreciate the advise

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts