1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D drive keeps disappearing!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scott7705, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

I have a recurring problem where my disk drive keeps vanishing from my system until i restart. for example: I was burning cd,s and all going fine, until i closed my media player, then put a game disk in and it wasnt coming up, when i clicked on 'my computer', there was no cd drive listed! this is a problem which happens under various circumstances, not just when i try to play game disks or burn cd's. When i restart my system the drive is always back when i reboot. I put up with it for a while, but its getting annoying now, especially as i cant seem to suss out whats causing it! Does anyone know anything about this problem? Its not a serious one i dont think, more inconvienient than anything else, going thru converting and stuff for ages then having to reboot before i can burn cd or dvd's. Also, it doesnt happen all the time, just about maybe 5 times out of ten. Very strange!:confused:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Drive, cable, or motherboard controller/port.

3. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

not sure what you mean. i explained the problem in my thread, could you be a bit more specific with your question please. i dont see the association with cable or motherboard. I'm just a learner mate. I'm a lot more savvy about software than hardware.

4. jamwaky

jamwaky

Try the drive in a different machine to see if it picks it up.
    replace the cable from the mb to the drive.
    Try a different drive to see if that gets picked up.

This will help us gain a better perspective of what the issue is.

5. scott7705

scott7705 Thread Starter

no can do mate, its a laptop which has the problem and i aint savvy enuff to go into a laptop. And my other machine is a netbook with no disk drive. is there no logs or anything i can produce when it next happens which would help to explain it a bit better? The strange thing about it is its not a permanent loss, it works for up to a couple of days sometimes before it happens, sometimes it happens twice in a day, when it goes, it just takes a reboot to reactivate it, and when it is active it works fine!!!???!!!

6. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    It wasn't a question. If the drive is disappearing (ie: not visible in Device Manager or Drive Management) then the cause is a faulty drive, cable, or the motherboard controller/port (or the drive is losing power).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice