D hunter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DHUNTER69

Hallo all.
I have a pent 4. 280 ghz. 992 mb ram. 74.5 gb hard drive winn xp. Belkin 54g wireless. Computer boots up slow, takes 1 minit 25 seconds to get to desktop. After it runs for a while or if i just get up and do something else. I try to go to a web site and i get, internet explorer cannot display this web site. The only way i can get it to do anything is to reboot, i only access yahoo and facebook. I have spybot and avg but not running all the time. Is it time to take the hammer to it or can it be fixed?
Thanks

Check this,
Start> Run> type: devmgmt.msc then hit OK.
Double click on Network Adapters then double click on your network adapter.
Click on Power Management tab and see if the box is checked:
Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
If checked, un-check it and click OK.

Power cycle your equipment:
shut down your pc, router, then modem
wait a few minutes the reconnect: modem> router> then pc

See if any of this helps.

DHUNTER69

Hello.
Tried what you said and the only thing i could find with power on it was power save mode in the advanced section of network adapter. Its value was cam. The other choices were fast psp and max psp. Was this ok?
Thanks.

Oh yea, i forgot. Sometimes my mouse pointer locks up too. The pointer is still there but it wont move. Have tried another mouse with same results. It does this maybe once a day. Have to reboot to fix it.

When you checked the Power Management tab like Lance1 imaged, did you see any
warning icons in the Device Manager?
You can also check the event viewer for errors.
From Run> type: eventvwr.msc then hit OK.
Click on System in the left panel and look in the right pane for any error or
warnings that happen about the time of the freeze or lost connection.

DHUNTER69

Hello again.
When i bring up devmgmt.msc, it does not look like that. It has no power management tab
in the eventvwr.msc i have a few errors on service control mgr and also on dhcp.
Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online