1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D:\ is not a valid Win32 application

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMadMage, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheMadMage

TheMadMage Thread Starter

Okay, so here it goes. I recently installed my new motherboard (Intel D945GTP), new memory (1 gig DDR2), and a new video card (GeForce 6600 OC 512MB).

I have everything else working fine on my computer (had an issue with drivers before), except my DVD-ROM. I'm using an LG HL-DT-ST 4521B 52X DVD-ROM. Every time it tries to autorun any CD, it says D:\ is not a valid Win32 application. I've tried a number of CDs, none work. I've also used 2 other DVD-Rom drives, and I get the same reaction from them. One is a Sony, and the other is a LiteOn. I've also played around with the jumper settings on all of them, to no avail.

I can explore any CD, and I see the files that are on the disc. When I try to run any executable, I get this error: "D:\setup.exe Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed."

I have googled this a number of times, and still have found no action or workaround that works for me. I've tried copying the files from the D: to my hard drive. Some files will copy, some won't. Particularly executable files won't.

To the best of my knowledge, I have the most current drivers available for all my hardware. If anyone knows ANY reason why this may be happening, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks in advance,
    -Kyle

2. TheMadMage

TheMadMage Thread Starter

Woot. I fixed it. So this is for all those out there who are lucky enough to come across this forum page looking for this answer. Change your cable. That's right. Just change the little cable that connects the ROM to the motherboard. Simple as that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!