1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link 615 router disconnects randomly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crazygunner, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazygunner

crazygunner Thread Starter

Hi I live in a student house, where there are 6 of us all with computers/laptops, when we first had our internet set up by Virgin it worked fine disconnecting maybe once every few days, this has steadily become worse. Now the internet can disconnect every few minutes both on and off the wire. We have tried running an Ethernet cable directly from the router to my laptop in which case the internet has been very fast without a single problem. The only way I am aware of to get the internet working again is to unplug the power cable however even this sometimes does not do any good, its like it has a mind of its own. We have reset and installed the latest firmware on the router numerous times with still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you determined yet whether the router is disconnecting from the modem/ISP?

Do you get the same problem with a computer connected directly to the modem (remember to unplug the modem for 30 seconds when switching devices)?

3. crazygunner

Yes we connected the modem direct to my laptop and it worked fine, so I believe it is the router that keeps on dropping the connection

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

5. crazygunner

cheers il try them tonight and let you know

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice