1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link 634M with Macintosh

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KesselZero, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KesselZero

KesselZero Thread Starter

I'm trying to use a D-Link DI-634M wireless router with an iMac running OS 10.6.5. It will create a wireless network that I can connect to, and when connected my computer will even give me an IP address; however, I'm not actually able to get on the internet. (I get the classic "Server not found" error in Firefox.) What's frustrating is that I've set up this router with this computer before, about a year and a half ago. I have a different internet service (as I'm in a different apartment) and a more recent version of Mac OS but it's the same router and computer. I have Optimum Online cable internet, and I'm using a Motorola Surfboard cable modem, model SBV5120.

If I unplug the modem from the router, unplug power from the modem for about 20 seconds, then plug it back in and restart my computer, I can get internet (essentially resetting to before I tried to set up the D-Link.) So the modem and connection work-- it just seems as though the modem and router won't play nice together. My new Apple TV also has the same problem as my computer-- it'll recognize and connect to my wireless network, but can't actually get internet access. I'm totally baffled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice