1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link DIR-655 Wireless Setup Failure

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dzfischer, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

Hello!
    I recently received a D-Link DIR-655 from a friend, and attempted to set the device up. I did, with all the cables and whatnot. The wireless is working GREAT. After hooking it up through the cable modem and the PC, I've accessed the wireless on two laptops and an iPod Touch. The only problem is, I seem unable to access the Internet on the PC itself when the wireless is on. The wireless works like a charm, and the computer says that it, the router, and the cable modem are all talking to each other fine and the Internet is connected/up and running. Yet the Internet still does not work on the PC, even though all the signals point to it working fine. I tried reseting the device, but it's either the wireless on everything else or the Internet on the PC at this point. I believe it to be some software issue between the router and the computer, because when the wireless is not hooked up everything works fine. Please help! Already tried cloning the MAC address as well, rebooting and unplugging. The router can supply wireless Internet to devices (i.e. wireless works fine), but when it is plugged in, the wired connection to the Internet for the PC does not work. Thanks for help!
    Daniel

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of the modem?

If Windows OS please show (for when each has internet access) for the ethernet connected computer and for one of the wireless ones ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

The modem is an RCA. It says digital broadband on it but I don't know what model it is per se. Also, the router is not hooked up right now so I don't know how helpful these commands are, but here they are without the router. One thing we may have identified: the comcast website does not list this D-Link router as a recommended one to the modem we use. But still, the problem is between the computer and the router (at least it seems), not the modem and the router. I'll hook everything up again later and re-run the commands (it takes a while to hook it up; like moving large furniture, hands and news with a flashlight, etc.). Thanks for all your help! Here's the results I received without the router, but not sure if this will help.
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>nbtstat -n
    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [76.123.106.101] Scope Id: []
    NetBIOS Local Name Table
    Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    GODZILLA <00> UNIQUE Registered
    MSHOME <00> GROUP Registered
    MSHOME <1E> GROUP Registered
    MSHOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
    C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>IPCONFIG /ALL
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Godzilla
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : comcast.net
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : comcast.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-AD-87-74-98
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.123.106.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 66.177.144.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.74.10
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 24, 2010 5:46:01 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 27, 2010 1:11:29 PM

P.S. I tried the command renew and release earlier, the one which breaks and reestablishes all connections, but that was fruitless. So, what's the next step? Do I need to hook the router up and re-run the commands? Because that's the suspicion I have...Again, thanks for all your help!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That output shows that your modem is a modem only--does not include a router--so any broadband router should be fine with it.

Reset the router to factory default settings. Unplug the modem and the router and shut down a computer.

Connect the modem to the router's WAN port and a computer to one of the router's LAN ports.

Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer. You should now have internet access and can login to the router to configure the wireless. If unsuccessful please show the ipconfig /all.

5. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

OK. Tried that it didn't work. It says that both are hooked up and functional, but the problem still seems to be between the modem and PC. Will post ipconfig command with both hooked up later today. Again, thank you for your time and help. :)

6. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

Ok here's all those commands with the wifi and modem hooked up. Sorry for the late response but I tried getting a new modem as the old one was being testy anyways, but the same problem persists, in which the wireless works fine and the modem says its hooked up fine but the Internet on the home computer doesn't work when the wireless is hooked up. Hope this helps!!!
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>nbtstat -n

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.199] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    GODZILLA <00> UNIQUE Registered
    MSHOME <00> GROUP Registered
    MSHOME <1E> GROUP Registered
    MSHOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Godzilla
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : comcast.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-AD-87-74-98
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.199
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 66.177.144.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:28:4
    0 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:28:40
    AM

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Rather strange. Looks like a normal connection to a router, except the Default Gateway is your ISP's public one. You're sure you have the modem connected to the router's WAN port? If so, maybe we now know why your friend was so generous. :)

You could try another reset to factory default settings, but if you get the same result I think it's then time to cut your losses and get another router.

8. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

Yeah, I think it's either a slightly faulty router or some software issue between the modem and the router. Anyway, the comcast wireless router they recommend is a one-time $10 purchase, so I think we'll go that way. Thanks for all your help!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That smells a little fishy. Maybe they have a surplus of $20 routers they just need to de-inventory (I don't claim that's a real word), but are you sure that's not some "activation" fee and there will not be a ~$5 monthly charge?

10. dzfischer

dzfischer Thread Starter

Interesting...the lady at the Comcast store said that it was a one-time purchase, so it might just be a cheap one. Or I misunderstood her. Either way, I know of the ones where it's the activation fee and then the subscription like you said, and I'd be willing to pay that anyway. So either way I'm getting wifi. Thanks!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice