1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link DSL-300T ADSL modem: ITS DRIVING ME MAD

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tld12345, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tld12345

tld12345 Thread Starter

I have bought a D-Link DSL-300T ADSL modem and It doesnt seem to work on my computer or even appear present.

Could it be my ethernet port on my computer, if it is I dont know how to check it.
    If it turns out to be this I have a spare from my other computer but Im not to confident with fiddling around with the insides of my computer.
    Do I need to have a disk with it to set it up all i have is the card that slots in the back

This problem is really starting to frustrate me can anybody help :confused:

my ethernet port is built into this motherboard KM400-M2

[​IMG]

thanks guys

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does the modem work with the other computer? Did you power cycle the modem (turn off for 30 seconds) when you changed the attached computer?

For the working computer, and the other one, let's see this when you're connected to the modem, making sure you have done the power cycle and rebooted the machine after connection.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. tld12345

tld12345 Thread Starter

I never used it on the old computer. It bought the modem today brand new, I've been using a usb modem up untill now but I wanted to change it so I could have more options.

My motherboard KM400-M2 has a built in ethernet port but im not sure if its working or even if its been setup as I've never used it

4. JohnWill

What's to stop you from trying it on the old computer? This will tell you if it's working. Note that you MUST power cycle the modem to change from the USB connection to the Ethernet connection, even on the same computer.

On the new computer when it's connected to the modem, please do this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. tld12345

tld12345 Thread Starter

Im only have 1 computer so I've got to re-connecting the usb modem to post here

After I take away the usb modem and conect the new ethernet modem and reboot this is all I see when the ethernet modem is connected
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tld12345

tld12345 Thread Starter

should i buy a new NIC card to put in my computer or does anyone know how to activate the one on my motherboard (if its off because I dont know)

any help appreciated guys
    cheers

7. JohnWill

Activating the one on the MB is done in the BIOS setup, it's with the other embedded I/O settings.

8. tld12345

tld12345 Thread Starter

i think iv fixed it thanks johnwill

Just wondering though
    There were 2 options on my LAN bit

LAN device (i think) i enabled that
    the other one was

onboard LAN boot rom

or something worded very similar to this i didnt enable this, do you think i should of enabled this

9. JohnWill

Nope, you did it correctly. You don't want the LAN boot to be active. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice