1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link DSL 504 Router Trouble...Please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by peterwalker, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterwalker

peterwalker Thread Starter

i have recently purchased the D-link dsl 504 router and i am having some trouble which is very frustrating !

I have ms 6.1 (latest version) and when attempting file sharing.....or 2 way webcam, i will get disconnected from the internet, have to turn the router on and off at the wall then reocnnect through
    Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections
    As you can imaine this is very annoying and i would like this solved ASAP!
    I have been told by msn to
    "Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900.
    Configure the TCP ports so that sockets on a port remain open for an extended period of time."
    I have tried to do this but it has failed... i think i may have done it incorrectly !!

if any of you have any ideas on how to solve my problem or how to complete MSN's directions successfully please write back !

Any help is very much appreciated !

thankyou

Peter

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

You not only have to open some ports, you have to forward these ports to the IP address of the computer with the webcam, etc. Your router manual should tell you how to do this.

3. peterwalker

peterwalker Thread Starter

i have looked in the manual before and there are no such guidlines......

i might be able to solve it but how can i find the IP address ??

thank you !!

4. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

don't remember that router, but log on to the router (http://192.168.0.1 ) And in the status page you should have a "default gateway" or public IP.
    I looked on DLINK and can't find the 504 What's the 2 letters in front of the router?

don't you just love tech support from MSN

""Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900. " that would be 10 ports. :D

5. coulterp

coulterp

It looks like the section in the User Manual ("dsl-504_man_r221.pdf") entitled "Port Redirection", pg 30 is what you need to follow. The screen dump (Figure 4-10) shows you where to put the start and end port numbers (MSN gave you) and the IP address ("Local IP address") of the destination PC.

Goto the PC you want to run MSN on and run the "ipconfig/all" command (in a DOS command window, Start / Run/ cmd) to find out its IP address (likely 192.168.0.x). That'll be what you need to set up to port-forward to.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice