D-Link DSL 504 Router Trouble...Please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

peterwalker

i have recently purchased the D-link dsl 504 router and i am having some trouble which is very frustrating !

I have ms 6.1 (latest version) and when attempting file sharing.....or 2 way webcam, i will get disconnected from the internet, have to turn the router on and off at the wall then reocnnect through
Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections
As you can imaine this is very annoying and i would like this solved ASAP!
I have been told by msn to
"Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900.
Configure the TCP ports so that sockets on a port remain open for an extended period of time."
I have tried to do this but it has failed... i think i may have done it incorrectly !!

if any of you have any ideas on how to solve my problem or how to complete MSN's directions successfully please write back !

Any help is very much appreciated !

thankyou

Peter

You not only have to open some ports, you have to forward these ports to the IP address of the computer with the webcam, etc. Your router manual should tell you how to do this.

peterwalker

i have looked in the manual before and there are no such guidlines......

i might be able to solve it but how can i find the IP address ??

thank you !!

don't remember that router, but log on to the router (http://192.168.0.1 ) And in the status page you should have a "default gateway" or public IP.
I looked on DLINK and can't find the 504 What's the 2 letters in front of the router?

don't you just love tech support from MSN

""Open as many TCP ports as you can between 6891 and 6900. " that would be 10 ports. :D

It looks like the section in the User Manual ("dsl-504_man_r221.pdf") entitled "Port Redirection", pg 30 is what you need to follow. The screen dump (Figure 4-10) shows you where to put the start and end port numbers (MSN gave you) and the IP address ("Local IP address") of the destination PC.

Goto the PC you want to run MSN on and run the "ipconfig/all" command (in a DOS command window, Start / Run/ cmd) to find out its IP address (likely 192.168.0.x). That'll be what you need to set up to port-forward to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online