1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link DSL320-T ADSL Modem + Belkin N+ Wireless Router Internet Performance Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zebu, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

Hello!

I have D-Link DSL 320T ADSL Modem and Belkin N+ Wireless Router.
    The modem works great on its own connected to the network card in my laptop.
    The problem starts when I connect it to the router (doesn't matter wired or wireless connection). The internet works but slower and sort of 'snaps' every few seconds. To give you an example, when I use skype the sound and picture freezes every few seconds or when I click on different websites in my browser, every few seconds I get the 'not connected to the interent' screen - I have to refresh and it loads fine.
    All those problems dissapear when I connect the modem to the network card of my laptop.
    I tried few things and this is what I found out:
    1. When I switch the router into Access Point mode it works great (wired and wireless) as if it the modem was connected straight to my laptop - no snaps, skype works great.
    2. It doesn't help when I turn the firewall off in the router
    3. It doesn't help when the QoS option is enabled
    4. The router is fine as it works great with cable modem

I think maybe there is something wrong because of DHCP option enabled in both devices.

Here is my ADSL Modem Config
    DHCP ON
    Starting IP 192.168.1.2
    Ending IP 192.168.1.254
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Here is my router config
    DHCP ON
    Starting IP 192.168.2.2
    Ending IP 192.168.2.100
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Please Help :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, DHCP would have to be enabled to do this. One issue here is you have two NAT layers that could be causing some applications issues.

Try configuring the secondary router as follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

Thanks for very quick answer. I did as you said and it did exactly the same thing as when I switch the router into Access Point mode - it gives me some weird ip number (probably the one my ISP gives my) 79.191.000.235 and subnet mask 255.255.255.255 even though I set it to be in subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Ips 192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.254.

Internet works great with this setting but I can connect only one laptop at a time (I need to connect few devices), regardless wired or wireless and what's weird I cannot connect with the router's set up page now even though I type in the ip number I set it up to have.

4. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

I checked the ip address that ADSL modem assigns via dhcp and it is the one that my ISP assigns to my network. It looks as if DHCP is not working properly in the modem because it has completely different range of addresses set up.

Maybe it would be possible to switch off the dhcp in the modem and use router's dhcp to share the connection. But how to set it up?

5. JohnWill

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wait, please. Am I reading this backwards? Looks to me like the modem/router is already in bridge mode--computer getting public IP address in spite of what was said in initial post.

7. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

Tried to connect ADSL modem in bridge mode = no internet connection at all.

TerryNet: I only get Public IP (and can connect only one computer) when I connect ADSL Modem to router the way JohnWill asked me to in second post (wan port to one of the router's lan ports + dhcp in router Off) or when I simply switch the router into Access Point mode (wan into modem port socket)

Still need help :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The procedure JohnWill provided is really a way to do pretty much the same thing that AP mode does (not all routers have this mode).

So what it sounds like is that the Belkin router is OK when acting only as a switch and wireless access point, but when actually trying to be a router it's causing a logjam.

About all you can do is make sure you have the latest firmware for it. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

You are giving it a "fair" test, right? By that I mean you don't test it with multiple simultaneous computers and you are not running a stress test, such as torrents running full blast.

Of course, nothing I've said above even begins to explain ...

With the cable modem the router's WAN would be set to a simple "dynamic" connection. With the ADSL modem, that seems to be operating as a modem only, should the router's WAN connection be something else (PPPoE, ...)?

How about showing the following when connected directly to the modem ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. JohnWill

When you put the modem in bridge mode, you need to configure the WAN section of the router for PPPoE and enter your user name/password from the ISP DSL account.

10. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

JohnWill: My service provider uses PPPoA VC-Mux. When I choose Bridge Mode PPPoA VC-Mux in the modem, then go to settings of the router I have only PPPoE to choose from. I gave it a go anyway and filled in username and pass. but it didn,t work. The modem and internet icons on the router flash orange (it means not connected).

TerryNET: Updating firmware was the first thing I tried before going with my problem to forums. I am giving it a proper test - one laptop, no torrents, everything not needed disconnected.
    By point 4 of my first post you quoted I meant It was working fine with cable modem and as it was connected in the same way as it is now (described in my first post) I take it it is doing the same thing with adsl modem as with cable one (connection set to dynamic, working in both cases but in ADSL modem case working a bit crappy).

I also tried to disable DHCP in modem and set the router into receiving static IP from the modem and then distributing it via DHCP of the router but as JohnWill predicted it didn't work (or I made some kind of mistake with the setup).

Attached the screen of IP settings
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ip.jpg
      ip.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
  11. JohnWill

With that IPCONFIG for a direct modem connection, the modem appears to already be in bridge mode.

That being the case, let's try this.

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

12. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukasz>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : spoko
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-AA-A9-BC

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-DD-D9-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 August 2009 15:39:39
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 August 2018 15:39:39

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukasz>ping 192.168.2.2

Pinging 192.168.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukasz>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukasz>ping 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=50
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Minimum = 121ms, Maximum = 135ms, Average = 128ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Lukasz>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [209.131.36.159] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=207ms TTL=48
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 209.131.36.159:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Minimum = 187ms, Maximum = 207ms, Average = 197ms

Strange thing I noticed is that DNS is the same as router's ip.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Typical for a Belkin router. Some routers by default give their IP as the DNS while others default to passing on the WAN's DNS.

A defective cable between modem and router could give those ping results. Else it appears that the router itself has become defective.

14. zebu

zebu Thread Starter

So that's it then. Still strange, internet works even though the DNS is wrong??? I was using this router with cable modem and had no issues.

Thank you very much for your time and all your help.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The DNS is not wrong. When a router gives out its own IP for the DNS it knows to pass the DNS requests "up the line" to the real DNS server.

You could test the router on somebody else's network--connect to their modem or their router--to double check whether the router has failed or, for some reason we haven't yet determined, doesn't like your modem.

You have eliminated the cable as a possibility, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice