1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-link DWL-G510 install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Volfan, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm trying to install the above wireless PCI adapter in a compaq PII with Windows 98se & am at wits end. The unit does not recognize the card. So I tried searching for it with the "add hardware" still no recognition. So I've tried to 'force' it with a manual load of the driver. But when I get to the screen where you select the name of the hardware, there is nothing there to select, total blank. I've been to the website, downloaded it and unzipped to my desktop with the same result. (Actually tried that twice). I ran it on another 'puter with a similar setup & still nothing to chose from.

This isn't a wanna, it's a need ta, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vol Fan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you know if it supported/works on win98 ???

OK - found the link it is
    Have you tried a different slot?

3. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

Hi again,

Yes, it SHOULD work with 98se. Those are the specific drivers i'm loading.

I've tried every slot I've got!! Well except the one the modem sits in. I pulled the ethernet card & uninstalled it too, just in case. I also hooked up the modem so I could run windows update (all is ok there except for a few security patches which I will take care of later.)

Vol Fan

4. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

Big Bump!

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

If the card is not recognized --- it's one of two things. 1) The card is defective.

2) You do not have it installed securely in the slot.

6. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply AcaCandy.

I have already exchanged the card in case it was defective. I'm pretty sure it's well-seated, no gold showing. I'm contemplating returning it and trying a totally different card. I'll have to ask about compatibility issues between brands though I understand there are 'standards' for these things. Since I've already got the router set up and it appears to be functioning OK, I wanted to make it work with the same brand card. But it may not be an option.

Anybody else think of anything?

Susan

7. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

One last desperate bump

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Let me repeat myself. If something works in whatever slot you chose to install this card in, and this card will not work in the same slot, and you are sure you have it installed tightly.....my bet is still leaning towards a defective card. Windows should at least recognize that there is some type of device in the slot.

Any way of testing it in another system?

9. Volfan

Volfan Thread Starter

Hi A/C,

that's why I'm considering going to another card altogether. I'm at home & this puter is at the office, so I'm going to take one more look at it tomorrow morning b4 church, if reseating or swapping slots with the modem doesn't work, then back to the store it goes!

Susan

10. ravdichuk

ravdichuk

I had the same problem. I have an ASUS P2B motherboard with an Intel PIII 550 processor running Windows XP SP2. When I tried to exchange the card, I was told by the sales person that the D-Link DWL-G510 card will only work on PCI v2.2 and that my motherboard had PCI v2.1. I was able to confirm the PCI versions on the ASUS and D-Link web sites, so I sent an e-mail to D-Link. I received this reply.

"Thank you for contacting D-Link Canada Technical Support.

For replies, please send your emails to [email protected] and please ensure to include all history when responding to support messages.

As long as you are using Windows98SE, it should be fine. The DWL-G510 will usually work with most configurations. This device is backwards compatible with older PCI buses.

If you require further support, you can contact us at (800) 361-5265 or through email at [email protected].
    Please take a moment to rate our service by filling out our on-line Customer Satisfaction Survey at
    http://www.dlink.ca under the support tab. Please check our web site at http://support.dlink.ca for
    latest driver releases.

Best regards,
    James
    [email protected]"

Where to go from here? I will probably buy another DWL-G510 card on the assumption that the first one WAS defective and D-Link Customer Support is correct on the backwards compatability. I f that fails, I will probably try another brand.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice