1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link EBR-2310 drops packets frequently

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TallGuy_AZ, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TallGuy_AZ

TallGuy_AZ Thread Starter

This is a small office network, no more than 8 computers on at once. Just a simple office network with a switch to connect everyone, and one computer with a large hard drive for license management, storage and data backup. The internet has always worked well, until the equipment was upgraded a few weeks back. It is now hard wired from an antenna on the roof, down into the D Link router, and then the router is plugged into the switch. Everyone can access the internet fine, and the speeds are as advertised. That is until there is too much traffic, then we get line after line of "Dropped packet from xx.xx.xx.xx to xx.xx.xx.xx (IP protocol 6) as unable to create new session". It'll also say (IP protocol 17) instead of 6. Originally the Internet provider tech support decided it is because we needed a public IP address, so we tried that. Problem is still there. It mainly happens on sites with lots of ads, or when I have a few tabs open that are loading at the same time.

Any direction would be much appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd have to believe that this is the router choking for some reason.

1. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    2. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

If that doesn't help, I'd consider a better router.

3. TallGuy_AZ

Thanks, JW. I think you're right, as I can easily choke it like that with only one computer by opening quite a few Firefox tabs. When I get a chance to take the network down, I'll try as you say and report my findings.

4. JohnWill

I'd probably be looking at a new router if this were my situation. There should be plenty of models that can handle this traffic. Even the Actiontec MI-424WR that came with Verizon FiOS here has had 14 computers all connected and active on it without any issue.

I'd say any of the brand name 802.11n higher end models should handle this traffic with ease. Obviously, if you don't have any wireless requirements, you can disable the wireless capability as well.

5. TallGuy_AZ

I suppose that's my only option, since I can't find a solution. I did find a thread on the dlink forums with a few people reporting the same symptoms, but no one has answered more than resetting and updating firmware.
    http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2231.0

I reset the router yesterday and reconfigured it. Problem is the same.

Time to shop for a router. :)

6. JohnWill

Yep, I think a new router is probably the fix here. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice