1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link Extreme N DIR-655 Router Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wheely34, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wheely34

Wheely34 Thread Starter

Just upgraded my network from a standard G to a D Link Extreme N network. Everything is working fine, I just had a question about the router. When I log into the router, and look at the status page, it says the time is: Sunday, February 01, 2004 7:49:11 AM.

This is clearly not the time and is way off. Is there a way I can change this? Could it be cuasing any issues? I have tried to change it, but cannot figure out how to do it. My firmware is all up to date...just thought i'd add that in there.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You have to do a little trick to set it correctly.

Uncheck the box in the middle that says Enable NTP server. At the bottom, click the button that says "Copy your Computer's Time Settings." Now click Save Settings at the top. If you don't click it now, the settings will change right back. You will not need to reboot the router.

Finally, click the checkbox in the middle to use an NTP server. I suggest you use tock.usno.navy.mil for your time server. Click Save Settings again.

You should now be good.

Courtney

3. Wheely34

Wheely34 Thread Starter

thanks a lot, got everything set. what is the NTP Server? It was unchecked by default for me. If I check it there is a drop down list and it gives me:

ntp1.dlink.com
    ntp.dlink.com.tw

What one do I use and what do they do anyway? I think u can also manually type one in.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

NTP - Network Time Protocol

I'd use the ntp1.dlink.com address since you're in the US. Personally, I use time-b.nist.gov for my time setting on systems here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731229