1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

d-link network card installation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

When I installed an ethernet card into my Windows ME computer, it isn't recognized when I reboot my computer. I tried to go to the "Add New Hardware" option in the Control Panel, but it still isn't recognized, even after searching for it.

I have an idea why it might not be working though. Whenever I start up my computer, it always gives me a message that says something like "new hardware has been installed, reboot to complete setup." when i click yes to reboot, the computer restarts only to display the same message again. By the way, this message appeared even BEFORE i tried to install that networking card.

please help me.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi starwolf39,
    I just installed a D-Link myself. Try saying no to reboot . go to add new hardware wizard and when prompted click on have disk Insert the disk and see what happens.

3. starwolf39

I used the "Have Disk" option like you said, and it went on to install the card. After that, I got a confirmation message saying that the card was installed. However, when I tried to go to the Home Networking Wizard to sety up the options, it said that it couldn't find my network card. Is there something that I need to do to configure my d-link card??

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi again starwolf39,
    Right click My Computer, click properties, click tab labeled Device manager, Click + next to network adapters, see if the dlink card is listed. If so then go to start, run, type winipcfg then hit ok. In the white box see if dlink is listed. If one place doesnt have it. remove the adapter and reinstall it. I had to do mine twice. Dlink has a toll free number: 800-758-5489, from 6 to 6 Mon thru Fri.

5. plejon

plejon

I ran in to a similar problem problem recently. After playing around with the software settings for hours, it turned out that the network card wasn't inserted correctly in the PCI slot.

The card was sort of "halfway" in the slot and the connectors didn't make good contact. Re-inserting the card in my PC solved the problem immediately. Maybe this is worth checking ...

6. starwolf39

I fixed it. I went to the Device Manager and saw there was a yellow exclamation point next to the adapter, clicked on it, and found i was missing the file DLKRTS.sys. So I went to the site and downloaded it, and the adpater is working fine now. Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice