1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link Network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jesskbuf, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jesskbuf

jesskbuf Thread Starter

I have recently purchased the D-Link 10/100 Network in a Box. I have only two computers I am trying to network together. I cannot find the other computer on EITHER of the computers (they are not showing up in my Network Neighborhood. They are both connected to the same workgroup. I try to 'find' the computer, and only the computer I am on is located. How do I make them appear? All the hardware is installed correctly!!!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are the protocols installed correctly? Is file and printer sharing installed?

3. zeronitro

zeronitro

Your problem is probably that your tcp/ip settings are not set up properly.

You can set up your own little network manually by doing this:

If you right-click on "Network Neighborhood" and hit "properties" it will give you your list of hardware & protocols for all your network stuff.

Right-click on "TCP/IP -> D-Link {your card name}" and hit "Properties"

Under one of the tabs (i think its the first one that comes up) Click the button "Specify an IP address"
    For an IP addy, put in: 192.168.10.xxx
    Put in a number 1-255 in xxx. I recomend 1, just cause its easy.
    For subnet mask, put in: 255.255.255.0

Don't worry about about any of the other settings.
    Hit Apply and restart. Do this to you other comp, and put a 2 in the xxx spot.

192.168.10.xxx is a specified IP address for local networks. Doing this should allow you to do file sharing. You can manually set up sharing a dial-up connection by using proxies.

NOTE: This won't work if your using a broadband connection.

Hope that helps :D

4. jesskbuf

jesskbuf Thread Starter

Well, I am using a broadband connection...guess I'm stuck. Thank you for all your help. I think my problem goes far beyond what I think they are...I called for a technician to come in and solve my problems...there goes a paycheck! YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT!!!!

5. mouse53

mouse53

I also bought the D link in-a -box set, we can see each other , share files, printers, etc. I cannot get the client computer on the net though. Everything checks out, but client cannot log on from browser. Wife's computer is client ( Gateway 450 Performance )and mine is the server ( Compaq 5360, 450mhz ). We also have just added 128 mg chips to both. Now we are having modem problems with the Gateway, coincidence, or D Link? Any body know?

mouse53

6. jesskbuf

jesskbuf Thread Starter

Did you install the D-Link software? Because their software is, to put it bluntly, CRAP! (at least that's what was wrong with mine) I have a Gateway as my main computer and a Compaq going through there. When the software was installed, that was when the Gateway started having problems...same deal as you.

7. mouse53

mouse53

Yes we installed the Mid Point Lite software. You are right about it being " Crap ". Now although our computers are switched ( Compaq and Gateway ) , I wonder if the problems are a software conflict with the Gateways? Our ISP had us put in extra settings to get the modem working again on the Gateway. The Compaq has been fine. I hate to buy software to run the Network, but I may have to as the Gateway has 98SE and the Compaq has 98.

8. jesskbuf

jesskbuf Thread Starter

It doesn't matter what version of Windows you are running on the two computers. And further software won't need to be purchased. I can tell you that because we're on the same wavelength here. I had to modify some settings as well to my ISP. I'm not too sure what configurations need to be set in your computer, but you'll need to uninstall Midpoint and the network settings need to be changed...but please don't go out spending a bunch of money on software, it's not needed! Sorry I can't help you any further. Perhaps you can call D-Link's support and ask them. Good luck!!!

9. Mr_yalC

Mr_yalC

Ya wanna know sumtin??? To make this short, sweet and PAINLESS as I can....

Mid - Large COMPANIES can get all THOSE connections because they have, mutliple routable IP addy's.... along with having dedicated backbones.... and a DEDICATED PIPE (bandwidth) as well as get the premium services from CARRIERS... (AmeriKrap!!!)

Small COMPANIES use ISP's that HOLD/CONTAIN the pipe and provide a specific range of routable IP addy's.... and ya actually LOG into THEM by proxy....

Plain and simple...

All company's IS/IT set a RANGE of IP addy's so everyone is NOT bogging on the internal (INTRANET) network, which is what is called SEGMENTING... But at the SAME time EVERYONE has access to the web / INTERNET. By use of a ROUTABLE IP thru router(s).

UNFAIR as it is.... WE HOME FOLK can't have multiple connection w/o the use of a router or having multiple accounts, at least as far as I know using Win2K Active Directory...

Which first off.. When you create your DOMAIN NAME....
    It has to use DNS.. Which converts FULLY QUALIFIED DOMAIN NAMES to IP ADDY'S... So WE have to BUY the IP ADDY....

Right THERE is where WE HOME PPL are STUCK!!! DHCP just allows ppl to have a INTERNAL IP addy which set up with a range for when clients log in, orl as if you wanted to make an INTERNAL network & not HAVE to deal with the INTERNET. Use NETBEUI!!!

Well. before I become MR. KNOWITALL and make room for someone to correct me if I am wrong I am going to stop right here with WE have to get a ROUTABLE IP addy or use a router!!!

10. Mr_yalC

Mr_yalC

That does it for me.... No sense in loading DLINK on my 2KPro rig, which has the connection, so the 2KSvr can connect to the web.

That is BACKWARDS... I want the SVR to be ALLWAYS connected and LOG onto the SVR to get connected... Just so I can PLAY HALF LIFE...... Man o man.... No sense in starting ANY trouble.

Thanks for going thru.. OOOOPS!!! SAVE me from YOUR pain!!!

11. mouse53

mouse53

Wow, quite a bit of jargon there. We actually got all the way to the client accessing the net through the browser and that is where it stopped. I don't want to spend any more money , that is why I cheaped out and bought D Link. I have been told that if we both ( server and client ) were running 98SE we could use the Iternet connect sharing included. I just like my OS the way it is and wasn't crazy about changing SE. I mean we were so close, saw each other , shared files, shared printers, but could not see Mid Point on my computer ( server ). I may have done something wrong , but I shouldn't have gotten this far if I did. maybe will just try Analog X's proxy server software, anyway thanks for the input. We both appreciate it and this is a great site.

Rich & Lisa

12. aubry

aubry

have you tried getting 2 n.i.c's installed on your system with the broadband connection?

the n.i.c you use now for broadband with a dynamic ip address, leave as is.

install another n.i.c, give it a static ip address eg 192.168.0.1, set your other system up with a static ip of 192.168.0.2 (both with the same subnet) then setup internet connection sharing on the system without 2 n.i.c's ( it works for me!)

you may have to give the mac address of your non broadband system to your broadband supplier.

i may be completly wrong for your setup!!!!!
    my setup is 3x dlink 530tx n.i.c's
    1x motorola cable modem
    3com 10/100 hub
    just giving a desription of how i got round the problem!

13. mouse53

mouse53

That would be great except that we cannot get broadband nor DSL yet, so we are stuck with dial up. I have been seeing alot about 2 nics for the server, but that is for DSLand broadband. I guess that we going to go 98SE on both so we can use ICS. Thanks for the info.

Rick & Lisa

14. Mr_yalC

Mr_yalC

I ACTUALLY was going to load ICS, but that is because I loaded svr but NOT w/ AD.. (Active Directory).

And it will DEFEAT my intended purpose, sp I will wait and first chance I will get a router and all in the world should be allright!!!

And as far as YOU guys are concerned... ICS w/ dial-up izza joke... And what is worse id that you are going to have to get another TEL LINE just so yooz tooz can get at least a LITTLE happinezz on the web.

So yooz guyz might as well sit next to each or (HINT HINT) one uses while the OTHER is busy....

15. mouse53

mouse53

We too will have to go the router way soon. I was just trying to get us both on the net at the same time. As for closeness , my sweet is about 2 ft from me so play time is not a problem, LOL. You are right about dial up , slow and funky, but we are in a rental and some moron split the phone lines when this place was built. I'll be damned if I am going to pay for another underground line to be dug in so we can have 2 . Isn't Ma Bell nice? We will have to wait until we get another place or figure out a software solution.

Rick & Lisa

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice