1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link range extender problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pinesadgj, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinesadgj

pinesadgj Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a network using D-Link: a DI624 router connected to a desktop/Verizon DSL modem, a DWLG880AP range extender, two DWLG650 PCI cards in two laptops. All three computers run Windows XP. When it is working the system works perfectly with excellent uploading and downloading speeds at each end. The problems is as follows. The laptops will only connect to the Internet (with MS Internet Explorer) after the range extender is unplugged for 10-15 seconds. They will remain connected as long as they are being used, but will disconnect after a time otherwise. The MS networking icons in the tray at the lower right state that the connection is "excellent" and the D-Link green bar graph icon shows that the signal strength is "good" to "excellent." Nevertheless, I can only connect the laptops to the internet after I have powered down the range extender for 10-15 seconds. Both laptops work without problem if moved close enough to the router. I have spoken with three different levels of tech support at D-Link, have all the latest firmware installed. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions as to what I might do to be able merely to sit down at the laptop and have it connect.

2. telepro21

telepro21

What mode are you using for the extender: AP or Repeater?

Sounds like the router, the DWLG880AP, and the PC cards are all using the same wi-fi channel. This may account for the drops in connectivity. For instance, if the extender is powered down, is it possible that the PC's can detect a weak signal from the router? If this is the case, then when the AP is powered up, there may be a possibility that the two signals are interfering with one another.

When I used to install radio repeaters, (many moons ago), we alternated channels each hop to avoid just this kind of thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice