1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-Link switch and router not seeing each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by l_stice, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l_stice

l_stice Thread Starter

I have a SHO w/2 hard wired & 1 wireless behind a DLink Wireless/router/switch combo using MAC address to assign IP addresses. All boxes are running XP.

Added a DLink 5 port switch & uplinked from router to switch, plugged in 1 of the hardwired computers to the switch. IPCONFIG on the switched computer now shows 164.254.117.164 which is a DHCP assigned IP and not the IP that the router should assign. My expectation was that the switch would simply pass through the IP from the router to the switched computer.

I have done all the usual steps, individually & in combination: switched cables, restarted everything in the usual disconnect and restart order, assigned the IP statically, tried different ports on the router and switch, tried to ping outside the firewall (fails), recreated the network connection on the switched computer, disabled MAC in the router.

I know that the switch is working (DLink DSS-5+) because if I put it in front of the router (between the DSL modem and the router) it passes through just fine, but the router is the only thing that can see the computers in the LAN and internet. So it sounds like it is some kind of router issue. When I look at the network connections status, I see that it is sending but not receiving any bytes.

I have an old DLink DI-713P which is no longer being supported by DLink. I am planning to upgrade to a DI-624 to get the faster wireless but I wanted to only change 1 piece of hardware at a time just for the safety in configuration. Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only thing that comes to mind is you're not using the uplink port correctly. There is no reason that I can think of that a switch wouldn't be transparent in the configuration you describe. Are you actually seeing the connect lights on the router and switch ports when you plug the cables in?

3. l_stice

l_stice Thread Starter

Yes. I get link lights for both the uplink cable from the router and the cable for the computer to the switch. They are not flashing however, indicating that data is being transfered although they do flash occasionally like they are trying to get through.

I don't think that it is the switch, but the router since I have tried two different switched. I had a Netgear and then exchanged it because of this problem. So it is behaving exactly the same. The only benefit to switching to Dlink is the superior tech support.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You got me, but it sure sounds like a physical connection issue...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice