1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D-link wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrj322, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrj322

mrj322 Thread Starter

Hi! I am someone who doesn't have a clue and needs help. My family just got Comcast Cable high-speed internet. I bought a d-link wireless router. I want to connect 2 computers.

I was able to connect my laptop (compaq presario 2100 running xp) fine. I am having trouble with my desktop (running windows 98 SE) using the DWL-120+ wireless USB adapter. I followed the directions provided and that did not work. (install the driver before connecting the Adapter to the comp. etc.) I was then told to uninstall the software/driver. I am not able to do this, I tried add/remove programs, and using the cd provided to complete this. I called tech support and then told me that I had 2 options:
    1- download new version 1.01 (done and didn't work)
    2- scanreg to delete registry (also didn't work).

Now I still do not have one computer working and very frustrated because I can not get the dlink software/driver off the computer.

I guess my question is, is there another way to uninstall something off my computer then the already mentioned tries?

Or has any one else had similar problems? Should I just buy the wireless desktop card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen more than one fiasco with wireless and W98, including on my laptop. :) I'd run a wire to the desktop, it's way easier to get playing. :D

3. mrj322

mrj322 Thread Starter

the only problem with that is the location of the modem is where the the tv is (since we have cable internet, my dad didn't want to run wires to get a cable outlet in the room with the computer.

4. kaufmans

kaufmans

why do u want to uninstall the driver?

Do u just want to reload it? If so go to Start/Settings/System/Hardware and locate your device. Click on it then click on properties. I don't remember exactly what the box looks like but there should be a update drive box. Click on that and when it asks where you want it to look point to where you have the latest driver and that should do it.

Also you probably need to check your settings on the routher and the card and see if they match. See if you have WEP turned on and if your SSId is the same.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice