1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D:/ not accesible incorrect function

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sjmcarz, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjmcarz

sjmcarz Thread Starter

I'm having the same problem, trying to send pictures or data to cd drive, says D:/ not accesible- incorrect function. Can burn discs from Windows media player and can copy discs using Roxio. It does play Dvd's after I installed some missing codecs. Have not tried to burn any Dvd's This happens on a recently installed Liteon 16x DVD/CD Writer & Re writer model SHW-160P6S10C.Has been this way since install, maybe I'm missing some software or need some more codecs, I used K-Lite. Cpu is Compaq 850 mhz, 512 Ram Windows XP Pro SP2. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread. I've created a new thread for your issue here. Thanks for your cooperation.

3. sjmcarz

sjmcarz Thread Starter

Thank you John

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What burning software do you have installed? Have you looked for a firmware upgrade for the Liteon? How are your drives configured?

5. sjmcarz

sjmcarz Thread Starter

I have Roxio 6 installed and has been for some time. I didn't need to go through this program before to send files and documents to the burner. I have not looked at firmware.My drives should be configured as they were from the factory, I just plugged the new Liteon into the same harness that I took the old burner from. Not sure if I installed it as slave, master, or automatic. I can check....... if this may be causing the problem.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you burning to CDs or DVDs? You can't drag and drop to DVDs since it's not supported by Windows. You have to use burning software.

7. sjmcarz

sjmcarz Thread Starter

Sending documents and photos to CD is the problem. Have not got involved with trying to burn DVD's yet. I can burn music files from Windows Media Player though, and copy music CDs.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

What exactly is the procedure you are using? Are you using "Send To" for these files and then using XP's burner? Do they appear in the drive's window in My Computer? Is there any difference if you drag the files directly to that window?

The drivers installed by Roxio may still be causing an issue even though you are not using the program for burning. Uninstalling Roxio may tell you if that is the problem, but thoroughly removing Roxio presents its own problems. If there is an upgrade option for your Roxio version, you might try that.

The jumper setup on your drive is important. If it is the same as your old drive, it should be OK, but you might want to check the other drive on that cable. If it is set to CS, try CS on your new drive. If it is set to master or slave, try the opposite on your new drive.

9. sjmcarz

sjmcarz Thread Starter

I will either left click to highlight the file or folder,then under file and folder tasks I will click copy this file or folder, then when the send to window opens I click on cd/rw drive. I also tried right click, then send to cd/rw. Does not work. I will check the jumper.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!