1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D:\ not accessible. Incorrect function.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CalvinMorall, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CalvinMorall

CalvinMorall Thread Starter

My trusty Dell is at it again...

My Cd-r, rw, DVD+r, etc. drive refuses to read ANYTHING. blank cd's, blank dvd's, music cd's, movies, you name it.

I'm running XP pro, and tried the handy-dandy windows trouble-shooter thing, which eventually left me with the comforting message, "windows is unable to solve your problem." So now I am here.

I don't think I have an SCSI devices (I think that's what they're called); or if I do, I don't know how to find them. Also, I already uninstalled and reinstalled the CD-DVD-read/write drive itself.

other webpages I went to said something about this possibly being caused by roxio ez cd creator, or some such nonsense--I do not have this program, thus I am not helped.

Any info you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. While waiting on responses, I will faithfully continue my attempt at fixing the problem myself.

Again, ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I am a college, and thus, right now is not the best time to be having computer problems.

Thanks,
    Cal.

2. norton850

norton850

Does device manager show that the drive is supposedly working correctly?

3. CalvinMorall

Adding on....

Yes, the device is working properly.
    And, just from a physical observation standpoint, I should say that whenever I do attempt to put some sort of disc in, the little blinkey light on the outside of the drive doesn't blink--it just goes a dark green. If I leave it for, say, five minutes or so, it eventually goes away, but still refuses to load the disc.
    Any operation I attempt to perform while the light is stuck on green either fails completely, or lags terribly.

As an aside, I saw an old post on here, about "enable cd recording" or some such, which eliminated the actual error message (d not accessible incorrect function), but alas, the drive itself still does not work. The light comes on, but that's about it.

--Cal.

4. norton850

norton850

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the drive isn't missing, I doubt that fix will do the trick. This sounds like the drive is really dead. My next step would be to test it in another working system.

6. norton850

norton850

True but since it sounded like the drive itself was going to end up being the problem I didn't see any harm in trying that solution.

7. CalvinMorall

Okay, so consensus seems to be, at this point, anyway, that the drive itself is dead. it is not a removable drive, so I can't, I don't believe, test it in another working system.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what the specifics of "dead drive" are?

<cringing in anticipation of hearing the inevitable>

8. norton850

norton850

What model Dell do you have? A laptop?

9. CalvinMorall

yes, I have a lap-top...a Dell Inspiron 5160

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    IMO Dead means no power or function. Since it's got a light and it recognised in the Device Manager, the correct term is the drive has PMT (PMS in the US) :D

If I'm not mistaken, Windows XPs burning tool is based from Roxio's technology. But it looks like the drive is not functioning correctly. When did this happen and did you install anything prior to that time?

11. CalvinMorall

Let's see...I noticed it about a week and a half ago.

Since then I have installed a new antivirus software (I just discovered that my school provides lifetime free updates and whatnot if I use Symantec) and a registry mechanic program

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!