1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D:\ not showing up in "my computer"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mybigredhorse, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mybigredhorse

mybigredhorse Thread Starter

Alright.... I got a new modem and wanted to install it. Problem : I go to "My Computer" on the desktop, and my cd-rom drive (d:\) is not showing up. I've tried everything I know. It says that there is no cd-rom drive installed... but if the master Cd is in when i start the computer.... it works. The drive just doesnt show up in "My Computer".... Please HELP!!

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Does it show in Device Manager? And is there a yellow exclamation point next to the Secondary Ide controller?
    I don't know what you have tried. Please post that information.

Here's something to try.
    Boot to safe mode. Go into Device Manager and expand the branch for Hard Disk Controllers. Remove everything there. You'll get a message that you have to remove the parent. That will be the last entry in that section. Go ahead. You may have duplicates there too. If so, remove them.

Go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter. Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

Look in the right pane for this entry:
    NoIde If you find it delete it.
    Close the registry and restart Windows. It will reinstall the Ide Controller for you.
    ( You navigate the registry the same as you navigate Windows Explorer, pressing the + in front of each successive entry until you reach the final entry)
    See if your Drive is listed in My Computer now.

3. mybigredhorse

well, the problem with that is, is that i'm not on my personal computer... i'm at a friends house.... and the reason why i'm here, is because i can't install my modem, because i have no cd-rom drive (D:\).... so therefore.... i'm basically screwed.....

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Sorry.You will have to go back home and look at your computer. Please post what you have alredy tried to fix this issue.

5. mybigredhorse

do you have an email address... so i can e-mail you later on when i figure everything out... ?

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Posting here will be fine, thanks.

If you are still there you have an alternative. You can load the DOS Drivers to install the Modem and after you are finished installing the Modem, go to autoexec.bat and put a REM in front of the line that loads MSCDEX.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice