1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D:// The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taina, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taina

taina Thread Starter

I am looking for help. I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-s4164 Window XP SP 2 Media Center Edition purchased in August. Just last night I noticed that my (D) Drive which is my DVD-RAM Drive as it reads now is not working correctly. I can play DVD's but it does not recognize CD-R/RW CD's nor actual Audio CD (retail). I seem to think that at an earlier time the Drive use to read CD-R/RW drive. ??? Could it just be the setting? The DVD-RAM is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S.

I have gone through the forum and tried out all the suggestions I could find. Still the problem exist.

When attempting to copy files to a CD I recieve this message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

After going through all of the suggestions I could find I decided to do a full recovery (factory) and the problem is still there.

I have gone through Record Now! and Window Media Player using an Audio CD (retail) and I recieve the following message disk empty or drive busy. When I open the file nothing is there.

Please help. This is driving me bonkers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you've done a Factory Restore and the problem persists then the drive has physically failed. I think its time to use that warranty that came with the laptop.

3. taina

taina Thread Starter

Triple6,
    Well I did as you suggested and called Toshiba. They had me go through all of the steps I had taken already and as suggested by the team here. They didn't have me do the full factory recovery since I it had been done prior to calling them. Still it was a no go. So they are having me take it into a local authorized dealer since it is still under warranty.

The drive is only acting as a DVD drive and will not recognize a CD of any kind. It is supposed to be a multi DVD/CD drive- as it was up until now.

Thanks.

I will update the board when I learn what the cause was.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!