1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

D3D/Hardware Failures?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WD Inc., Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WD Inc.

WD Inc. Thread Starter

Alrighty, here goes... I've searched high and low for an answer to this problem and even ran across a few similar sounding problems, but no real solutions. Unfortunately, I want to make this as short as possible, but hopefully typing up the whole situation in detail until "what's going on now" might isolate the problem.

About 6 days ago I was kicking back and enjoying a game of Savage, when suddenly the game crashed and the good ol' "submit X report blah-blah" screen popped up for submitting a crash report to S2 games. Thinking this was just a random crash that sometimes happens with the game, I tried booting it back up again. I get to the game menu, the monitor blanks out and all I get is sound. I try alt-tabbing out, ctr-alt-del - no response. So, I have to do a hard reboot.

System boots back online fine and I cruise around to see if maybe it's just the game or maybe my system is stressed for some unknown reason. So I try something a bit more rough, Doom 3. Starts running, initializing, the intro movie sound kicks in, but the screen freezes and the monitor blanks out again forcing another hard reboot. At this point, I am getting worried, I never overclock and heat has never been an issue in the two years this system has been running even with graphic intensive games (the graphics card is a Gainward Geforce Ti4600 - and has performed well up until now), so I decide to see if a driver went corrupt.

I check my drivers and do a DXdiag, all show green. I try the tests, DirectDraw works perfectly fine, but D3D causes a crash/monitor blank out on 8 and 9 interfaces, and sometimes on 7. Not cool. I had recently installed SP2, so my DirectX version updated to 9.0c, so I figured that could be a problem (since the installation was just a few days prior). I updated my video card drivers first to see if that might be the problem before I start trying to tinker around with anything forcefully integrated with WinXP. No dice.

At about this time, the card starts failing even on bootup into Windows... and eventually, no response at all. This is all in the course of roughly 24 hours (barring other life dependent activities). So now the system no longer responds, I just have a power on light and the HDD light stays a solid red. Goody, hardware failure.

I open the case up and look around, nothing fried, no visible scarring or any signs of electrical failures or problems on the board and components. I clear out a little dust from heatsinks and fans to make sure those aren't causing heat problems. Try booting up again and still no response (no beeps either). All fans are going, even the one on the graphics card.

At this point, I call a friend and ask him if he has ever had this problem before, as it turns out his brother had the exact same card, brand, etc... and had the exact same problem. He RMA'ed the card back and got a new one and was set up fine. So, I figure, okay... so the video card shows its age a little early and died. Since I have only one system to my name right now, I cannot really wait for the whole clearing and waiting process of RMA (which is roughly a week), so I order a replacement card in the meantime.

Gainward GeForce FX5700 Ultra/980. Not the best, but a nice deal for what I paid and a suitable replacement for what I had.

Start the computer up and success! Everything is a-ok and running fine. Not taking chances, I reformat since the master drive needed it anyways. Clean install all the newest drivers for the board, cards, components, WinXP patches, SP1 (not SP2, just in case that lead to the problem), DirectX9.0, etc... the works essentially. Everything is running fine and even all the DXdiag tests pass with flying colors, no blankouts or problems.

Now for the real test, I try a game. I install my original problem maker, Savage, just to see if I can clear that hurdle. Installed, patched, and run- bam a C++ Runtime Error. I try another game, same thing. I reboot, try again- same response. I try checking up on drivers again, all up-to-date, I try DirectX 9.0b- same problem.

I go to DXdiag again, and try toggling and running the tests again. Direct Draw works perfect, but D3D starts to get garbled on the interface tests. I check my drivers again, I safe mode uninstall-reboot-reinstall every driver for the card, and try again... still garbled. I check case temperatures again, try some hardware diagnostic programs like SANDRA, everything checks out no problems seen. This is about the time I start searching high and low on the internet about my problem and successfully come up with no solutions.

I go back to see if maybe my DirectX drivers are somehow just getting corrupted from that one game alone and try another reformat and reinstall. I go through the whole process again as stated previously with installs making sure I avoid SP2 and DirectX 9.0c in case those might have something to do with it as well. With that finished, I try the game stress test again this time- something different. The Sims, works fine, runs well, no problems. Okay, something rougher, Unreal2k4, update DirectX, reboot... Run, and then the monitor blanks out. I begin to notice a pattern here.

I try DXdiag again and try the toggles and tests, all show green yet again, but D3D starts to do what it did previously with the last card, blanking out at whim on the interface tests.

I figure by now, it has to be a hardware problem, but it is not the video cards. I suppose it could be the motherboard or even just the AGP slot, but is it the motherboard alone that could be causing the problem? I've tried tinkering around in the BIOS, checking settings there, making sure everything is consistent and found nothing alarming there. I dare not try anymore D3D tests, because they more or less led to the last card failing from (possibly) unknown hardware stresses, however I can run desktop programs and other non-graphical intensive programs just fine.

Finally, IRQs and other device orientated things have no conflicts and my system picks up no conflicts either. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or perhaps knows exactly what is going on... that help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reading this huge thing, but I figured a detailed explanation might help out in solving my problem. Below is a boatload of info depending on what you guys need to read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    DirectX 9.0b SDK also tested for D3D corruption, artifacting- while no problems are found in DXdiag, there obviously is one with D3D not functioning:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 9/16/2004, 14:10:04
    Machine name: WD-INC
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
    System Model: Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 295MB used, 955MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    DirectX Files Tab: Several files (d3dx8d.dll, d3dx9d.dll, d3d9d.dll) are debug versions, which will run slower than the retail version.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Music Tab: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce FX 5700
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0342&SUBSYS_060110B0&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 753DF(X)/703DF(X)/783DF(X), SyncMaster Magic CD173A(T)
    Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5672 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/24/2004 10:04:00, 4274560 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 3/24/2004 10:04:00, 1895648 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4002-11CF-2865-0B2600C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0342
    SubSys ID: 0x060110B0
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A
    Deinterlace Caps: {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

2. WD Inc.

WD Inc. Thread Starter

I hate to double post, but here's some additional stuff just in case it's needed:

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
    Speed : 1.80GHz
    Model Number : 2200 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR2610 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
    MP APIC : Yes
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    System : System Manufacturer Product Name
    Mainboard : First International Computer, Inc. AN17
    Total Memory : 511MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
    Model : VIA Technologies Inc VT8366/A,VT8367 Apollo KT266/A,KT333 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : SyncMaster 753DF(X)/703DF(X)/783DF(X), SyncMaster Magic CD173A(T)
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : WDC WD2000JB-00EVA0 (186.3GB)
    Hard Disk : WDC WD400BB-75CAA0 (37.3GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-500M (CD 38X Rd, 1X Wr) (DVD 37X Rd)
    CD-ROM/DVD : PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Main Drive (C:) : 37.2GB (33.3GB, 89% Free) (NTFS)
    Slave Drive (D:) : 186.3GB (161.7GB, 87% Free) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A
    CD-ROM/DVD (F:) : N/A

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Printing Support
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : Creative SB Audigy
    Device : Creative Game Port

Printers and Faxes
    Model : Canon MultiPASS C755 Printer
    Model : Canon MultiPASS C755 Fax

Power Management
    AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services
    Adapter : D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter

3. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

Quick suggestion to a long post..Do you have an old pci vid card around somewhere to test d3d on?

4. WD Inc.

WD Inc. Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I do not.

5. WD Inc.

WD Inc. Thread Starter

Is it possible a graphics card can short out a board? I mean at the very least, I'd assume the APG slot is shorted out more or less, but I cannot find any conclusive evidence.

6. drkilldrmz

drkilldrmz

Obviously there are a bunch of things that could cause trouble for you.. Make sure in the bios your agp aperature is set correctly..If your overclocking this system..That could cause issues also. Make sure you have all the motherboard drivers installed correctly. I have a via chipset board that needed the 4-in-1 drivers before my card worked properly. (but i only have a crappy radeon 7200)

7. WD Inc.

WD Inc. Thread Starter

Hrm... let's see, the aperature is set to 128MB, which is half the card RAM.
    The board goes up to 4X AGP (Both cards supported 4x), but I've also tried lower multipliers just to see if that might have been a problem between the board and cards and that didn't seem to fix it either.

I haven't overclocked this system before (or now) - I just don't like tempting Murphy's Law. :D

On the software end I've checked all the drivers. I've tried newer and older versions of the 4-in-1 drivers for the board. I've tried newer and older drivers (nothing below what's on the CD, though) for the card, checked to see if the card was seated properly- and just to make sure reseated it. And I won't go into detail on how many times, I've reformatted just to make sure absolutely nothing is being corrupted.

Granted, as much as I would like to blame this on user error and it's all boiling down to software problems because life would be easier that way... it's not.

I'm still convinced that it has something to do with the board.

But, I spotted a refurbished board for 27 bucks that is a very similar chipset and I think I might try switching over to that for diagnostics (maybe permanently) and seeing if anything similar pops up.

8. southernlady

southernlady

I may be overlooking it but I don't remember seeing your power supply listed. Liz

9. batharoy

batharoy

Good Question, and also what I suspected after reading about all your
    problems. It may be that your PS is old and tired. I know from experience
    that if it goes bad it will probably take other components with it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice