1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dail up connection

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chazbo, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chazbo

chazbo Thread Starter

In windows 98, my dial-up connection window is repeatedly popping up, without any prompting. I don't know how to stop that, .... any suggestions? :confused:

2. Hamill

Hamill

You may have yahoo messenger, msmessenger, or aol messenger enabled to connect automatically. It is probaly trying to launch at startup. You can go into these programs and change the settings or you can remove them from start up using msconfig. I would remove them from start up if you do not use them. If this helps let us know.
    Thanks,
    Hamill

3. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, chazbo

Also is your Virus scaner trying to Auto update

Try this goto control Panel click Internet options

then goto Advanced tab & see if Automatically check

for Internet Explorer updates if so Uncheck the box

on the left side hit apply Then Ok

4. Fitz

Fitz

Hi,
    I have a similar problem. (Take a look at the thread "Floppy disk hunting) in that after boot-up my computer trawls the A-drive for about 50 seconds, indicating that something is telling something to go hunting there.
    How do you operate msconfig?

5. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, Fitz

Are you asking how to get to msconfig will here gos

go to start then Run type msconfig & then go to

startup Tab uncheck what you do not need to run

at startup

is this what you needed to know

6. Fitz

Fitz

Hi AAPlus,
    This is what I wanted to know, but it doesn't seem to work on my W95 machine as it cannot find the file.

7. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

Don't know if this will work for you but try during the first part of boot up hitting "Delete" as this should put you in you Bios menu. Go to device configurations and look and see if you have a line that says "Looking for secondary Floopy". If you do make sure it is diabled. On my controls it is "page Up" or "Page Down" to change the request but it could be something else on yours as I had the same problem and that cured it.

8. Fitz

Fitz

Thanks for the help on this.
    I solved the problem from advice in the other thread which I started, as I found one of the programmes, which had added itself to my startup programmes in the Windows/Startup folder was seeking a file in the A-drive. I've deleted that and there's now no more floppy-disk hunting!
    Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice