1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Daily Viewing is "Post-Heavy"

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by MsPCGenius, Jan 25, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius Thread Starter

Since the Board came back up from the depths of despair ':(', I have noticed that when I do a search it behaves differently. It use to be that the search provided me with only the Most Recent Posts since the last time I viewed them. Now, each time I come to the board, my search produces over 200+ posts.

Do I need to reset something?

Also, is it just me or have the Rambling Discussions begun to outweigh the technical posts.....? It wouldn't bother me a bit if they were to suddenly disappear :)

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Lol, isn't it this kind of thinking that creates our current
    state of world peace and harmony... :)

3. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

:confused: Huh??

Forum ..................................Posts .......................Threads
    Software & Hardware

All Other Software.................22726 .......................... 5342
    Hardware .............................43424 ...........................8505

Operating Systems

Windows 95/98/Me .............. 88705 ...................... 16794
    Windows NT/2000/XP .......... 14005 ........................3969

Internet & Networking

Web & Email ......................... 23600 ...................... 4943

Community

Random Discussion ..............19724 .................. 766
    "Rambling Discussion" ......... 3191 (replies)

Hummm ... ? ;)

4. Ratboy

Ratboy

Hey, maybe we can officialy change the forum name to "Rambling Discussions" as noted by LeslieGibb. This way everyone will know what they're in for.

What d'ya think?

5. oscar51

oscar51

LeslieGibb:

I suggest you ease off on Random Discussion. Some while back -- like a year maybe -- I tried a mild comment similar to yours and got thoroughly raked over the coals by more than a few Random Discussion stalwarts. And, what the hey, it's a good way to run up one's post count while doing minimum damage in the help forums.

6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

If ya don't like "Random Discussion", why go there?
    And if ya don't go there, why would it bother ya?
    And if your ego is connected to your post count, ya
    have my sympathy... :)

7. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Oscar51 said:
    Believe it or not there many who participate in the Random Discussion Forum and actually dispense very helpful advice in the others. I assume that your statement was tongue in cheek and not unmitigated arrogance.

8. oscar51

oscar51

Of course it was tongue in cheek. Just trying to warn Leslie to lay off. I have great respect for the helpers on this site and occasionally have even offered some help myself, though I receive a lot more help than I could ever give. I don't have the time to get involved with the Random Discussion on this site so I do my RD via letters to the editor in the local newspaper. The slower turn-around time is more my style. Relax, everybody; smile a little; we'll all live longer.

9. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Oscar51----Letters to the editor are actually, in my opinion, better then an email. First, the time requirements of writing, whether by hand or word processor, allows a cooler head to reign. Cogent, direct and well argued points have a greater impact then rants displayed on a monitor. Second, it allows that period for reflection and consideration of what was read without the screaming demand for immediate response. The art of letter writing I'm afraid, with our instant technology, is rapidly dying.

10. combsdon

combsdon

Gee Oscar51.............sorry I won't get to know you. P.S. Stay away from the Chat too, will give you more time with the letters.;)

11. rhettman5

rhettman5

Leslie, I am not upset, nor will take offence, we do play around in random for sure !

Because of this however I believe the site has grown better, not worse.

I have talked to several people here and consider them friends, I hope they feel the same way.

The Random Forum makes this site a help community where resources are shared and gives the users a option to "hang out" while waiting for a response to a post in "the help threads" .

I know enough people here now that I can PM someone to help someone who is in distress, if I can't help, I can usually find someone who can, thus speeding up the whole process !

I realize not all have the time to spend in Random, nor the desire to do so, but I feel it is a important part of the site...so, we must agree to disagree...:) ... Rhett

12. RandyG

RandyG

However, I will agree with Leslie in one regard . . . it sometimes is a bit of a hassle viewing new posts, and have a whole lot of them be RD ones, or, God forbid, Unix!! I have just logged in, last time was Yesterday, but there are 320 posts since then.

It would be handy to view new posts by Category, not just date.

Any way that can be done, Mike?

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

Randy
    You may be on the right track! I would not in anyway want to put the damper on the Random Discussion forum, Lord knows it is a place to relax, let your hair down, (In my case not down to far so any more falls out) and just meet and socialize!
    This is good!
    Why not just split the two! When one searchs for new posts have two catagories, one help topics, the other Random.
    Don't you think that would be amicable with less programming change?
    Dave

14. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

You might already know this......

On the main forums page there is a > (yellow arrow thingy) next to forums that have "new" posts since your last visit. Click on that particular forum you are interested, then all the threads with new posts that you have not read will have the > next to them.
    Easy huh?!? Much eaiser than "view all new posts", and having to weed through 100's of posts.

Just a thought. ;)

15. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    cwolfe... I was just reading through this thread and thinking the same thing... I thought I was missing something. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice