1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Daisy chaining a scanner to HP Laser Jet II Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lkng4you, Jul 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lkng4you

Lkng4you Thread Starter

I want to hookup an older scanner to my computer. An adapter or card is cost prohibitive and I was advised that the best way to do it is to daisy chain the scanner off of my printer.

I have an HP Laser Jet II Printer and an Envisions 24 Pro Scanner (U-Max Engine). I was told that the scanner should be at the end of the chain. The HP Printer has a serial port next to the printer port connection. Also, there is an unassigned space next to the serial port. The unassigned space has a metal plate fastened with two screws and the words written accross that say "other devices".

My question is -- "Does the serial port on the HP support data out or only data in"? The Envisions 24 Pro Scanner has a 50-pin scuzzy connection on the scanner side and the other end of the cable fits the serial port on the printer perfectly. I haven't tried plugging it in because the printer cable has a 90 degree style connector that is blocking the serial port. I figured it wouldn't be worth the trouble of finding another printer cable unless I knew for sure that the serial port on the printer supported data in?

Thanks,
    RANDAL
    [email protected]

2. Paul D

Paul D

I don't know US prices, but I got an add-on card that gave me an extra parallel port and a serial port for $20 Australian (ie $10US). An extra port is going to be far better than pass-through.

3. Lkng4you

Lkng4you Thread Starter

Paul:

What make was the card? Where did you buy it? Was wondering if there is anyone making an add on card for USB 2.0?

The scanner has a 50-pin scuzzy socket on the side that hooks up to the scanner, but the other end of the scuzzy cable appears to be a 25-pin that hooks up to a serial. Will your card support a cable such as mine?

Randal South
    Renton, Washington
    [email protected]

4. Paul D

Paul D

Where I bought it won't help you, because I'm in Australia! I don't remember the make, but they shouldn't be hard to find. If I remember rightly (I'm at work now, so I can't check) my card had 3 ports, and would take any standard serial or parallel connector. Sorry I can't help more.

Re USB 2.0 - you can get hubs that you plug into one of your USB ports that will give you more ports. They come with (at least) 4 or 8 ports. I believe you're better off getting a powered hub. Is that what you meant, or are you wanting a card that will add USB ports to a machine that doesn't already have them?

[Edited by Paul D on 07-05-2001 at 05:27 PM]

5. Jeckler

Jeckler

It sounds to me like you have a parallel printer, and a SCSI scanner, right? If so, none of this will work. Even if the SCSI cable has a 25 pin male connector on it, it's still SCSI, not parallel. The printer output does not provide SCSI capabilities.
    I made the mistake of hooking a SCSI Iomega drive to a parallel port once. While no (permanent) damage was done, the cable got REALLY warm.
    You can probably pick up a SCSI card for around $50 or less, if you look around.

6. Lkng4you

Lkng4you Thread Starter

Is your add on card PCI or USB 2.0? How do I contact the store you bought it from? What brand is it? $20.00 AU sounds like a deal. Most cards here are much more expensive.

Randal
    [email protected]

7. KHahn

KHahn

Had problems with HP5100CSe scanner and LexMark 5700 printer working.
    Added a SIIG PCI serial card to system, bought at Best Buy for about $25, IIRC.
    A quick swap of cables was all I needed to do, and I was up and running without problems.
    Hope this helps.

8. Paul D

Paul D

If you have got a parallel scanner, Khahn has given you the right advice, but make sure it's not a SCSI machine. Your description is a bit vague.

9. Lkng4you

Lkng4you Thread Starter

Dear Paul:

Australia may not be so impractical afterall. I may be agreable to paying for postage to have a card and or scuzzy cable shipped to me. Even with the extra postage, it may be a better deal. Can you please provide me the name, address, and preferably e-mail address of the company that you bought the card from. I could pay them with my Visacard for the card.

The cheapest card I have been able to find in my community is close to $70 by Adaptec and the cheapest scuzzy cable I have been able to find is around $30. This is just too much money. I will look into the suggestion by Jkahn and call Best Buy to see what they have.

Randal
    [email protected]

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Lkng4you
    (My two cents) If your scanner is old have you thought about getting a newer one? You can probably get one for around $60.00 which may have better resolution than the old scanner and have the type of interface you want on it. It might be better than buying a SCSI card and cable then finding out that your scanner is bad.
    The serial port on an HP printer is an input not an output port and you have to change from the parallel port to the serial port from the control panel to use it.

[Edited by Lurker1 on 07-13-2001 at 09:17 AM]

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice