1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Daisy chaining Repeaters

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alucard-, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

Hello,

I just recently moved into a new apt. Where the landlady has set up a wireless daisy chain across all 5 floors using tplink's WA730RE's. The issue is, which is expected, slow and often unreliable WiFi connectivity. I sometimes have to power cycle the repeaters more than twice a day to get them working...

Now, since these repeaters can be set up as wireless bridges, what would be the best practice in order to get, as much as possible, a better overall performance on the network? I have a spare router that I could hook up into one of the repeaters, that can be used as a wap, in order to break up the packet load. But will connecting it through a cable from the repeater actually work?

P.s. The base router is on the 2nd floor and then there is a repeater in each hallway up to the 5th floor. So I was guessing connecting the wap on the 4th floor...

Any ideas on how to make it work best?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hire a professional consultant to survey the area and recommend equipment and layout of a system.

A considerable improvement over the current mess is to run ethernet cables to each floor and connect wireless access points with different SSIDs to break up the amount of traffic on each wireless segment.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

How many users are we talking about on this network? This is a residential plan offered by the ISP?

4. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

That was my first idea but considering that the floors are about a foot thick of steel reinforced concrete its somewhat impossible as a solution. Also this was set up by a "professional". Whoever can call himself a professional based on the current mess as it was well put.

Would a repeater be able to give me internet access through the Ethernet port? So that I could hook up my AP, and make a second network thus halving the congestion of the network itself?

5. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

We're talking about 10-12 users (thats what I could get feom the dhcp tables of the router on the 2nd floor. It's not ISP provided, it's a half arsed (pardon my French) solution that the landlady's "professional" consultant came up with...

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some models yes, (Repeater and Wireless Bridge simultaneously) some models no (only Repeater or only Wireless Bridge at one time). Check the user guide; since those are not always crystal clear it may be easier to just try it.

7. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise, will try and ill report back if gt worked out.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i know the EW- 7228Apn will work as a repeater and with the ethernet port - as i had the same issue recently and I have had an email confirmation from the manufacturer that it will work - just haven't been asked to install yet , so not purchased or tried out ot make sure the information provided is tru

edimax
    EW-7416APn 1 lan port wireless @ 300mbps
    EW- 7228Apn 5 lan ports wireless @ 150mbps

9. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

Back after trying to connect the router onto a repeater to lighten the load... Failed misserably. The router managed to get internet through the repeater's LAN port, but speed was the same even when trying to access the router home page.

I also thought about the "Powerline" solution, but I dont have any experience with these devices. Would they work as good as UTP cabling? I spoke with the guy whi set all this up and he told me that there are standby UTP cables going through the top 3 floors (there are 6 floors in total), so setting it up "the proper way" is somewhat expensive and time consuming. So i'm just trying to rule out every possible solution before I go down that road.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The performance of powerline is highly dependent on the quality of the electrical wiring. It may work fabulously, it may fail completely, or be somewhere between. Buy a pair of adapters that can be returned, connect one to the router, and start touring the building with the other one and your laptop. :)

11. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

You're probably right. Anyways I suppose i'll be back after I have tried them out and ill report my findings.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!