1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged Comp??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by armagreggon, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. armagreggon

armagreggon Thread Starter

disaster.....listening to music on my pc when I accidentally bumped my chair into my PC tower. pc instantly just turned off as if the plug had been pulled, then it started itself up again. It runs fine except when I try and play music again Windows Media Player is totally unresponsive, slow to open music files and when they do play they skip and jump :s
    did a disc check on the volume my music is stored on but came up with no errors. Any ideas what I have done or how to solve it?? could I have damaged the hard disk??

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Is it just when playing music or using WMP?

Have you got another player to try?

3. armagreggon

weird yes, my music plays fine in i tunes. i shall try and re-install wmp
    thanks

4. armagreggon

well i rolled back to wmp 10 from wmp 11 and i still get the same problem but only in wmp. and i slightly knocked my tower and all the power suddenly went again. any ideas why the power cuts out when i knock my pc?

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Your having a smashing time. Depends how hard you hit it ...but a slight knock shouldn't put things that much out.

Tried the power cables in-fact check all the cables (internally as-well) and make sure they have a good connection

This music is it on your PC already not on disk?

6. armagreggon

yes im rather clumsy. the music is mp3 files on my pc already, checked the inside cables and the power cable the 1st time it happened but ill double check again as i dont seem to have knocked it that hard.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do a complete surface scan on the disk, CHKDSK will just tell you if the file structure is intact.

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Strange it is only affecting WMP and not other players

9. JohnWill

The bad spot might be in the middle of WMP. ;)

10. armagreggon

this is soooo frustrating! did chkdsk and didn't pick up any errors, reinstalled wmp twice and still have the same problem. iTunes plays fine which suggests that the problem isnt with the volume my music is stored on but the volume wmp is installed on yet i couldnt find any errors. Is there any way of changing the directory wmp is installed to, when i install it I couldn't see an option. I though if installed it on another volume maybe it would work. I really cant find what the problem is! (n)

11. bernardus

bernardus

Did you also select the F (fix) option with Chkdsk or nothing will be repaired? With a bump to your PC the HD will have a shock and some files will be damaged.
    bernardus

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you were using wmp when the system shutdown, you may have some corrupted wmp files. I see you have already tried reinstalling them; have you tried a system restore to a point before this happened?

13. JohnWill

I still recommend the disk manufacturer's diagnostic for a full surface scan of the disk...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice