1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged Downloaded Program---what to do?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jane0218, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jane0218

Jane0218 Thread Starter

Hi,

In Internet Explorer, when I look at:
    Tools->Internet Options->General Tab, Browsing History, Settings->View Objects
    a window pops up titled C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files. I came across this while trying to resolve another problem....which will be in another post and has nothing to do with this post.

The status of one of the files is "Damaged" and I have no idea if it should be deleted and reinstalled or deleted and not reinstalled, or just left alone. It also states the install date was on 4/29/05 (which would be before I purchased this HP Pavilion laptop--I purchased it after September 2005). The last access date for the program states today, 12/7/07.
    Here is the program file description:
    {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B}
    Under Properties is the following info:
    ActiveX Control
    80KB
    Code Base: http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqnbk/downloads/sysinfo.cab

Would this damaged program be affecting the performance of my laptop? Since it's been installed since I've owned it, I wouldn't know if the performance is slower than it should be or not, or why the laptop is accessing a damaged file (and what happens when it does access this damaged file???)

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

2. Rrruff

Rrruff

Damaged means that one or more of the dependency files has been deleted.
    Unplugged means that an installation program has registered the .ocx file in
    a location different from where the code download installed it.

By optimizing Internet Explorer, you can clear old files and settings that
    may be causing conflicts and may be preventing you from connecting to the
    Internet. To optimize Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
    In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the General tab.
    Click Settings.
    Click View Objects.
    Click View, and then click Details.
    If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that
    program file.
    Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
    In the Settings dialog box, click OK.

Try that out, let me know how that works for you.

3. Jane0218

Jane0218 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but my question was: Does anyone know what the program that is already showing as damaged does? Do I need it? It was last accessed today, 12/7, so I'm not sure if I'll mess things up by deleting it.
    Does anyone know what this program is?

4. TOGG

TOGG It's My Birthday!

I have always understood that Downloaded Program Files were similar to Temp files that could be deleted without any problem. Have a look at this MS Knowledgebase article; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246, particularly these sections;

"Cleanmgr.exe is designed to clear unnecessary files from your computer's hard disk. You can use command-line options to specify that Cleanmgr.exe cleans up certain files. You can then schedule the task to run at a specific time by using the Scheduled Tasks tool.

To start the Disk Cleanup tool, either run the Cleanmgr.exe command, or click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup."

and,

"Downloaded Program Files - Downloaded program files are ActiveX controls and Java programs that are downloaded automatically from the Internet when you view certain pages. These files are temporarily stored in the Downloaded Program Files folder on the hard disk. This option includes a View Files button so that you can see the files before Disk Cleanup removes them. The button opens the C:\Winnt\Downloaded Program Files folder."

If you are using XP, click Start/All Programs/Accessories/System tools/Disk Cleanup and see what is shown under the 'Downloaded Programs' heading. If you run Disk Cleanup, your damaged file, and anything else found there, will probably have been deleted.

The Access date is just that, the date you viewed the file, it doesn't mean that the file is in use or that it is needed. The very fact that it is damaged almost certainly means that it is useless.

5. Jane0218

Jane0218 Thread Starter

TOGG---
    Thanks so very much for that explanation. I did run Disk Cleanup and took a look at Downloaded Files afterwards and that damaged program is still there.
    The Disk Cleanup did show, though, that there were KB in Downloaded files that could be "cleaned up", but I don't know what it did, as the programs that were there before are still there now.
    Thanks for the reply. I do understand that if the program is damaged it can't really be used, but what made me hesitant to delete it was the fact that it does state that the program was accessed today. The other programs in Downloaded Files do not show today as an access date, only that program. So I wondered how or why it would be accessed?
    I guess I can do some more searching as to what that particular program's purpose is.
    Thanks again!
    Jane

6. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

If it isn't causing any problems, obey the old golden rule-
    'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' - IE leave it as it is.

7. TOGG

TOGG It's My Birthday!

I'm no expert on these things and, as blkwint64 says, there is a lot to be said for leaving well alone unless you are dealing with some sort of malware.

Your damged file is an Active X control and you will collect many thousands of those if you surf using Internet Explorer (one of the reasons I don't use it). If you go back to the website where you got the damged file from, and it is needed to make the site work properly, a fresh copy will be installed.

Obviously, over time, you will collect thousands of these, mostly useless, files, (unless you change your IE settings to exclude them or use Firefox or Opera). That is why Disk Cleanup is there to reclaim some of the disk space these things are taking up.

I don't know the technical details behind the Access date thing, but I assume you clicked on or checked the Properties of the file and so 'accessed' it. That used to bother me when I saw files several years old with a much later date as well, but it doesn't now.

8. Jane0218

Jane0218 Thread Starter

That makes sense because I did click on the Properties of the file. So my last access date is 12/7. I have 7 Downloaded (ActiveX) programs, so I guess I'm faring pretty well with IE. I just recently dowloaded Firefox and loved that I was able to transfer over all my bookmarks from IE to Firefox.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice