1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged Image Files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by theabbot, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theabbot

theabbot Thread Starter

I have a really weird problem. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have a Cannon Rebel XT EOS 350D camera. Until recently I had no problems downloading images from the camera to the computer. Recently I downloaded pictures and then viewed them in Windows photo gallery. Initially the thumbnails appeared fine. Then as I watched each image changed and the files themselves were damaged. I tried to open them in Photoshop and got a message that said "This document may be damaged (the file may be truncated or incomplete". Since then that has happened each time I tried to download images.

I have tried using Nero to download and view the files with the same result. I have tried downloading them and then immediately opening them in Photoshop without viewing them, but again got the same error message.

I have been unable to find anything about this problem doing internet searches. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jdean

jdean

Have you tried using a card reader, instead of downloading directly from the camera?

3. mrss

mrss Guest

There was a thread on a file corruption using card readers in this forum causing JPG corruption. Some people resolved that by unplugging every USB peripheral except the reader.

Your thread appears to be about the thumbnails and the image changing as you watch? It's discussed in this thread on the microsoft forums. Over 200 posts and no real fix.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet...&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=13

Don't know what else to say. Maybe add your tale to the above.

Are the images on the card corrupted afterwards too? Will they download OK on an XP PC?

4. theabbot

theabbot Thread Starter

Reply to jdean: I had not tried using the card reader. Turns out that it appears to work. Makes a good work-around. Thanks for the idea.

5. theabbot

theabbot Thread Starter

Reply to mrss:

My camera was plugged in through a USB hub. I plugged it directly into a USB port and it imported 205 files and corrupted 3. Go figure. Before it was corrupting all of them. I couldn't unplug everything without a lot of trouble.

It does not corrupt the files on the card.

jdean gave me a work around that is only a bit more effort and lets me get back to work.

Thanks for the ideas.

If anybody has any other ideas they would be appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice