1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged jpg files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by woodentree, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodentree

woodentree Thread Starter

I have a one folder in my photo archive which has about 800 jpg files. The first 620 are OK and can be opened normally. Then next one shows a good thumbnail, but when I open it I only see the top half of the photo and then it is grey below. From then on the files have no thumbnail and can not be opened in anything I have tried (lightroom 6.0, paint, Microsoft office 2010, powerpoint). I have scoured the web and tried the following with no success: Stellar Pheonix JPEG repair, JPEGsnoop, File Repair, PhotoRecoveryPro, Pandora Recovery, DigitalPictureRecovery Pro (demo). Can anyone offer any help please? The photos were taken in 2010 with a Nikon D40 and were saved directly as jpegs. All other photos are fine.
    Many thanks.

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Possibly what I call folder overload. Too many large files in one folder. This may or may not be the case.
    Try this. Move one of the photos that is not opening correctly to a separate folder of their own and then open it. If it opens correctly then move about half of the rest of the photos there.

Did this work?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I had a friend with a similar problem ... and it was gradually getting worse.
    He checked his HDD ... It had a bad sector and was probably in the process of dying.
    Can you check the HDD and do you have a backup ???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice