1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged laptop power supply cable - safe to use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kelski, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelski

Kelski Thread Starter

Me being the idiot that I am, left my laptop power supply cable lying on the sofa (unplugged, I hasten to add!) and have just found that one of my pet rats has had a good ol' chew at it. It's not in too bad a state; bits of the black plastic have been removed and I can see the silver underneath (probably a cm or so in length). I just want to know if it's still safe for me to use, as I'm entirely ignorant of the structure of these things - am I likely to electrocute myself if I accidently touch the metal underneath the sheathing while it's plugged in and switched on?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well, It would probably be a good idea to take a photo of it so that we can see the state that it is in. As far as I am aware the silver coating around the outside is only the earth part or a shield part (more likely an earth) So long as the inner power carrying cable isn't touching the outer earth stuff you should be alright to use it. However I would definitely recommend getting a new one as the price's these days are so low it is hardly worth the risk of either shorting it and damaging your laptop or hurting your self on it.

3. Kelski

Kelski Thread Starter

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

I intend to buy a new one anyway but as I work from home using my laptop I can't really afford to be without it for a few days!

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well, It doesn't look too bad. What side of the power converter is it on? the wall side or the laptop side?

5. Kelski

Kelski Thread Starter

It's on the laptop side.

I must confess I feel very silly posting this; I'm usually so careful around the rats! Still, it's better to ask and be safe than sorry.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It doesn't look un-fixable. Do you have any electrical tape. If it is on the laptops side then the max voltage there is usually 24v which isn't enough to go through your body and cause harm but could short out. If you wrap it in electrical tape you might be able to get away with using it for a couple of days. However I don't recommend it lol

7. Kelski

Kelski Thread Starter

Thanks! Pretty sure we've got some electrical tape lying around somewhere; will have a look. Going to get on eBay now and see if I can find a seller with first class delivery for a new adapter. :)

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Don't buy one from the genuine laptop brand unless you have loads of spare money lol. It is a lot cheaper to by a compatible one and they have warranty anyway.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice