1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged network adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by habahaba0123, Nov 10, 2019.

1. habahaba0123

habahaba0123 Thread Starter

Hello, my collegue at work asked me if I could try to repair his HP Pavilion 17 laptop, on which he spilled some drink. Computer is running well, I replaced cpu fan, but it can't connect to any wi-fi. I found that it's broadcom BCM43142 network adapter is not registered by operating system Windows 10, so I opened the machine again, unplugged the adapter and it's looking damaged (photos included), but I'm not sure about it's definitely destroyed. Should I tell him, that it's broken and needs to be replaced with new one? I'm not computer technician so I would like to hear other people's opinion before I order new one. I don't want to spend more money, then realize that it was still working or something entirely else was broken.
    This is my first post here, so I hope this type of question is not misplaced or somehow irrelevant. If it is, guidance will be greatly appreciated ;). IMG_20191110_144326.jpg IMG_20191110_144357.jpg

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It looks like it has something like coffee on it. Have you tried to clean it with pure alcohol or such? That's what I would do before investing in a new one. Although it may be that you need to try to clean the inside of the slot too. If you can't do that it's possible that the connection is damaged and a external dongle is necessary. (unlikely though)

3. habahaba0123

habahaba0123 Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, Fireflycph. I will try to clean it with alcohol like you said.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice