1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damaged or Corrupted Pic and Vid files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by cjnsb, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjnsb

cjnsb Thread Starter

Windows XP

So I transfered about 250 pics and 10 vids from my camera to my computer, I put them in a seperate folder in MY PICTURES, about a month went by and I went to open them (to save them to a disc) and they wouldn't open. I had opened them numerous times before and there were still preview pics on the outside of the folder and those pics change if I rearrange the pics inside the folder. I searched for them with Picasa and my Computer Search, I looked in my Temp Internet folder and my temp folder. I did use a registery cleaner (Easy Cleaner) but I've used before with no problems. Also it is only a problem with the most recent pics, which where transfered from the camera...all my other pics were copied from a disc the computer.
    While I was searching for them I found I could access previews of the pics in Microsoft Digital Image Editor but when I tried to open them they would give me a message saying "File Name to Short, File may have been damaged or corrupted". Also when I open the folder there are windows icon's where there were once pics and it gives the size and date last edited...all the last edited dates are the same and within one minute of each other.

Arggg, So to me that says they are here somewhere I just don't know how to bring them back.

Help Please

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Here's what I'm hoping happened. I'm going to say you don't have the show extensions for known filetypes checked in your folder options. I'm going to further say that somehow the extensions for your pictures in that folder where changed and now Windows does not recognize them as photos, or anything at all, but it knows something is there and so you still get the generic icon. I'm going to further speculate that the size reported for the files represented by the mysterious icons is roughly equivalent to the expected size of the individual photos and/or videos that have gone missing.

If none of the above is true you might be out of luck. So do you know what the extension of your photos was-is? I'll say they are .jpg for example, right click on one of the icons in the folder where you lost them and rename it to Myphoto.jpg and hit enter. Did it come back to life as a photo icon? If so, you're in business.

IF not, well you've searched already, searching some more is the only hope left I would think.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice