1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Damn Blue Screen Of Death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MasterNe0, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

I've been getting this blue screen since I got my computer which has been since December. I finally put on automatic restart in order to just let it restart on its own but it still driving me crazy.

It has been IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

blue screen

it been different bugchecks thought. I've been trying to figure out what been going on with damn computer. What should I do to fix it?

It has also showed me different drivers from intelppm.sys and portcls.sys

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is more to the message than that and we need the rest to help. It is a hardware incompatibiilty, that's for sure

3. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

What kind of information do U need in order to help me with this problem?

Here are some of the information I have collected from event viewer.

One of the bugcheck is "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x3f3e18df, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xb8e59126). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071906-01.dmp."

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x0000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072106-01.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fc (0xbaccfac0, 0x0b23c963, 0xbaccfa4c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072106-04.dmp.

4. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

What other information do u require to help?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you on Sp2 for XP? have you done all recent Windows Updates?
    This could be Sassar virus so you need to do online scan here first:
    www.bitdefender.com
    How many ram sticks are in thei pc? If more than one remove each and run with 1 to see if this stops.

6. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Yes, im on Window XP 2.
    Already updated everything including Windows.

I already tried the ram stick (I got two 1gb sticks)

Im thinking it a driver conflict between my motherboard onboard sound and my vid card.
    I have a ASUS MB P5WD2 Premium motherboard and a Radeon X1800XT 512MB vid card.

Im just not sure how to fix it.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Googling "portcls.sys " shows up sound card driver error and you sound knowledgeable enough to have downloaded different and newer drivers to fix this which is step 1.
    "intelppm.sys " shows up problems with a centrino cpu or Amd cpu's with an obscure driver that SP2 seems to have whacked out...which makes no sense at all. I would bet if you put in a pci soundcard and shut down onboard audio in bios this all goes away...Asus is having major problems with software this year. I am also wondering if you download and install newest video driver, or if you have then older one that might fix it.
    I am also wondering what kind of software you have to enable Crossfire and whether or not that is clashing with chipset driver for Intel.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886348

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

>>> In particular, make sure you include this one, I want to see what driver might be associated with it:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072106-04.dmp.

9. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Yes. I already download the ati newest vid drivers. I already tried some old drivers but they haven't worked so far. This problem has been going on for a while (since I got my computer), i just choice to ignore it but it getting more and more annoying and I wanna know if I can fix it so I took off automatic restart in system settings in order to address the blue screens of deaths.

Attached Files:

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here is a brief summary of the non-duplicates. I don't think I've ever seen quite such a variety -- definitely pointing either to an underlying hardware issue or a damaged Windows registry. Inspite of the fact that you say you have rotated ram modules -- I would be looking for an issue there, either with one or both of the modules or possibly one of the motherboard slots.

You should also be reviewing whether your power supply is adequate to support that video card, and whether overheating can be a factor.

I prefer memtest86 as it can give some indication of which module a fault may be occuring in >>

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

11. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

out of curiousity, what software do u used to debug the dump files?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Alright. I ran memtest86 and for 3 tests. All passed, no errors.

I also typed Prime95 and that pass ( I think with no errors)

I also tried to update my onboa`rd sound drivers (from www.realtek.com/) but that didn't help, still getting blue screens.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When are these blue screens occuring and how often? Is there any pattern to them?

Can you go offline (disconnected modem) long enough to test whether they occur with no LAN connection?

15. MasterNe0

MasterNe0 Thread Starter

Well. they happen more often when im playing something like battlefield 2. But it also occurs when the pc idling (on desktop doing nothing). Ill try ur suggestion and give u a feedback.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!